Feeding and Nutrition :: Wondering about Cuttlebone...

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:01 pm   Wondering about Cuttlebone...

I want to feed my turtles cuttlebone, but I don't know how to.

Is it just ok to buy the cuttlebone for birds and feed it to the turtles?
angelgurl1787

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:11 pm   

Yes, you just need to take off the hard backing and then put a piece in their tank.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:37 pm   about hard backing

sorry this might sounds stupid, but what is "hard backing" in cuttlebone? do you mean that metal piece that is used in bird's cage? or the hard piece on cuttlebone itself? (sorry i'm new to this...)
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:39 pm   

there are no stupid questions. I still remember something my 7th grade teacher always said. "It's better to ask a silly question than to make a silly mistake". The clip is just there to attach to the cage for birds. Take that off, of course, then take a knife and remove the hard layer of bone on the back. It's nearly impossible for it to be digested so that's why it's important. Some turts like smaller pieces, while I throw half a bone in each tank and they take it that way.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:51 am   

At Petco I have found cuttlebone in a bulk type that does not have the hard backing and is sold loose... it is a really big piece and cheaper then the package type with the backing. just for a FYI
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:55 am   Re: about hard backing

RESCHIU wrote:sorry this might sounds stupid, but what is "hard backing" in cuttlebone? do you mean that metal piece that is used in bird's cage? or the hard piece on cuttlebone itself? (sorry i'm new to this...)

Hi Reschiu. The cuttlebone that TurtleTalk forum speaks of is the product that are produce for birds. They range from about $.99 -$1.50US. The cuttlebone comes with a metal clip that's intended for clipping the cuttlebone onto the bird cage. You need to remove that. The hard backing that Cam722 speaks of is on one side of the cuttlebone itself. You can easily spot it once you buy it. I use a knife and slowly chip it away. It's like chipping/scraping dry paint off the wall. You can just break off small pieces; small enough to fit into your turtle's mouth. You can leave it floating in the water. It's not unusual if your turtle(s) don't show much interest in it. Some turtles go for it immediately, some eventually come through, and some turtles simply show no interest in it at all. Eventually the cuttlebone will dissolve into the water and it is still beneficial this way. My two baby RES aren't really interested in it yet. So what I do is wet the cuttlebone until it softens up a bit and break it into a powder form. Then I just sprinkle it over a partial wet Reptomins and serve it that way. Hope that helps.
BROOKLYN

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:42 pm   

The Petco near me sells loose cuttlebone as well, however, it still has the hard backing. Just check to make sure--you can dig your fingernail into one side but not the other. The soft side looks more like chalk as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition