Feeding and Nutrition :: Feeding in seperate tank

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:14 pm   Feeding in seperate tank

Im having problems when it comes to feeding in seperate tanks.
I can't really tell if both turtles are getting food (i put 4 reptomin pellets in a day, 2 for each) so recently i've been trying to feed them in seperate tanks, but when i move pandora into the extra tank, she's too busy trying to climb up the walls to notice the food.
Any suggesitons?
"Does thinking your the last sane man on the planet, make you crazy?"
MenTalTerYn

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:22 pm   

How much water are you putting in the feeding container? Is your reason for feeding them out of the tank to keep the water cleaner or so that they get equal amounts? If it's not to keep the water clean, you could always feed the one IN the tank while one is out in another container. I have found that if I just put their food at opposites ends of the tank and up against the glass.. they seem to do well that way. It's actually funny to see them both separate to their "corners" at feeding time. The male eats at the end with the basking dock and he'll drag his veggies back there to eat them away from the female. Who says turtles can't be trained :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:26 pm   

Maybe leave pandora in the tank and feed the other one in the container..that way they still eat separately.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:55 pm   

I find when I feed mine in his tank, he gets so excited by the yellow lid of his food, that he doesn't even realize I put some in. I have to lure him to one side of the tank, drop the food in the other side, then make him follow my finger to the food. I tell ya, he's a cute one, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
bradhart

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:19 pm   

bradhart wrote:I find when I feed mine in his tank, he gets so excited by the yellow lid of his food, that he doesn't even realize I put some in. I have to lure him to one side of the tank, drop the food in the other side, then make him follow my finger to the food. I tell ya, he's a cute one, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That's so hilarious bradhart. My grand daughter was just sitting here "teasing" the turtles by moving their food container in front of the tank. That's our feeding routine. They go to their separate areas .. I put the food next to the glass and point.. They follow the finger.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:13 pm   

Im using the seperate tank because i can't seem to tell if only one is eating all the food or if they both get their share.
I fill the tank up pretty much all the way, and drop the food in, but they just run up the sides and seem to ignore the food, even after they've been in there for nearly 20 minutes.
"Does thinking your the last sane man on the planet, make you crazy?"
MenTalTerYn

Return to Feeding and Nutrition