Feeding and Nutrition :: Still not eating

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 am   

is this good to use on a hatchling that is not eating

http://www.naturezonepet.com/remedies-preventatives.php
joem1481

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:49 pm   not eating

I have recently bought a small RES I am not sure exactly how old he is but he is 1 1/2 inches, I've had him for 2 days now and he wasn't eating, I had been giving him pellets so I asked the guy at the pet store specializing in aquatic animals and he suggested frozen blood worms and my RES didn't hesitate in eating them. These worms are high in protein.
Now I'm still new at this so if anyone disagrees...
msanchez

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:16 am   Re: not eating

msanchez wrote:I have recently bought a small RES I am not sure exactly how old he is but he is 1 1/2 inches, I've had him for 2 days now and he wasn't eating, I had been giving him pellets so I asked the guy at the pet store specializing in aquatic animals and he suggested frozen blood worms and my RES didn't hesitate in eating them. These worms are high in protein.
Now I'm still new at this so if anyone disagrees...

The blood worms shouldn't be the staple of his diet. It's good that he's eating them, but now it's your job to wean him off of them onto a good reputable pellet as his staple food and offer veggies daily as well. The blood worms are good as an addition to his diet occasionally but not daily. It's really hard getting little ones to eat sometimes (I went through this with the freeze dried shrimp vs. pellets with Koopa) but keep offering the things he should be eating. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:12 pm   

Babies readily take to bloodworms, but they're not that nutritious (unless fortified). You might soften a pellet (like Reptomin Baby) and mash some of the frozen bloodworms with it, form a little pellet and let it dry, then try it on your turtle. If he eats it, gradually reduce the amount of bloodworms used until your giving him only the pellet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:47 pm   

don't worry, when I first got my baby slider, he didn't eat for few days(like 3~4 days), I read it online somewhere saying that it's because it could take them a while to eat before they get used to their surrounding(new environment), so please not be worried, increasing temperature will help, but it's better to let them get used to their surrounding at their own pace....
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:11 am   

Based on his posts, I'm not sure what he's doing. Hopefully he is reading the earlier suggestions and the information provided on the main site.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition