Feeding and Nutrition :: Pellets for best nutrition

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:05 pm   Pellets for best nutrition

in addition to greens, and dried shrimp (for protein) what brand of pellets is the best for our turtles that best provides it's nutritional needs? I know there's a lot, but i'm sure one brand stands out from the rest?
-_-"
Disillusioned

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:23 pm   

Shrimp should only be a treat, not a regular source of protein. I think there is a poll for which pellet brand people use, I think Reptomin was leading.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:23 pm   

Wardley is the only brand they sell in my town.:(
How often can you feed your turtle chicken?
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:08 pm   

Reptomin and Mazuri are arguably the highest quality pellets on the market presently. I've seen it recommended that Wardley's be supplemented as it has a somewhat less nutritional value than some of the other leading brands. No pellet will by itself provide all the nutrtition a turtle needs, which is why a balanced, varied diet is important.

I've fed my turts white chicken meat maybe 3-4 times this year (and turkey breast twice, I think).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:56 am   

For best nutrition, feed your turtle a varied diet. Feed them as wide a variety of prepared foods AND fresh vegetables as you possibly can.

I feed my RES three different types of prepared pellet, as well as various types of vegetables: carrots, collards, dandelion greens and flowers, red bell peppers, summer squashes, sweet potatoes, romaine and red leaf lettuce, nasturtium leaves and flowers... the list goes on. I also feed him the occasional prey items, such as nightcrawlers, grasshoppers, crickets, feeder fish.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:12 pm   

reptomin.... which is the one everyone's talking about??....
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 6491773516
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 6491773899
i'm thinking it's the select-a-food one??
mazuri.... is this the one everyone's taking about???
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 6491773585
-_-"
Disillusioned

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:30 pm   

I use the first reptomin.. the floating sticks. I've never seen the other. They also sell them in "baby" size for hatchlings.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:37 pm   

The second link is actually a selection of Reptomin floating sticks, gammarus shrimp and one other food (forget which). If you're getting Reptomin, get the one in the first link. (There's also Reptomin Baby for small turts.)

Yes, that's the Mazuri people talk about. My RES loves it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:12 pm   

We use the first one listed. They float better than the thicker reptomins.

Also last weekend I picked up some of these to supplement our RES's diet
http://www.tetra-fish.com/catalog/product.aspx?id=421

The turtle absolutely loves them. It says it is suppose to provide beta carotene and help enhance the turtles color. I haven't been at home this week but my wife says the turtle's color has gotten greener. Her shell was a little dull.
Spookster

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 am   

marisa wrote:The second link is actually a selection of Reptomin floating sticks, gammarus shrimp and one other food (forget which). If you're getting Reptomin, get the one in the first link. (There's also Reptomin Baby for small turts.)

Yes, that's the Mazuri people talk about. My RES loves it.

but wouldn't the 3 in 1 be better then? since it also contains the reptomin floating sticks and other food for other nutritional needs? or are the other food just not worth 3 in 1 and the reptomin floating sticks is just best???
-_-"
Disillusioned

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:16 am   

The other foods in my opinion are just filler foods and not nearly as nutritious as the floating sticks. The gammarus shrimp contain only protien, fat and fiber, no vitamins whatsoever. As I'm sure you've read, too much protein is not good for you turtle so these sorts of things should only be given as a treat occasionally, like once or twice a month. So buying a lot of it would be a waste of your money which would be better of spent elsewhere.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:52 pm   

The shrimp is high in protein, and having it so handy for me would be a temptation to give it more often than it should be. Spookster's link is basically the shrimp that's included in the 3-in-1 container, but it's just the shrimp. Still don't know what the other food is---krill? If so, this is really high in protein as well as fat, if I remember correctly. I'd get more of the better stuff (Reptomin) but don't feed according to the instructions on the package. Feed the head-sized amount once daily (or break it up into half-head amounts twice a day) if your turt is a hatchling/less than a year. And don't be generous with what you consider to be a head-sized amount.

If you want to enhance your turtle's coloring, feed foods high in beta carotene, like carrots, squash, pumpkin, dandelions.

Mazuri is also a great choice if you want to try that. (You could get both and alternate on days you give pellets.)
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition