Feeding and Nutrition :: Delicious Gold-Fishes !

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:08 pm   Delicious Gold-Fishes !

A quick study. Who here agrees that it is safe to feed your common RES, whichever sized goldfish(porpotional to your RES's size), on a everyday, every-other-day, weekly, monthly schedule ? If no explain why ?!. Thank You
Char-Char

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:20 pm   

No, I don't agree with what you're suggesting. Goldfish aren't a good choice of live fish to feed period. Why? Because they're quite fatty, produce a lot of waste in the tank, are more apt than other live food (like minnows or guppies, for example) to contain parasites, and because they contain thiaminase, an enzyme that breaks down and prevent the absorption of B vitamins. Frequent feeding can cause a Vitamin B deficiency and resultant neurological damage (difficulty with motor control and balance).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:01 pm   

I fed my res goldfish only once. I knew they were fatty but I did not know the rest of the info that marisa just posted. I only did it because I got tired of keeping up 2 tanks and didn't want to keep the fish any more. I never bought the fish with the intention of feeding them to the turts and they will never get them again.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 pm   

I have nothing to add to Marisa's thorough comments. Basically, you do not want a constant intake of thiaminase in your turtle's diet and I personally have never given my RES any gold-fish.

[edit=topic moved]
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:35 pm   

I have nothing more to add to the wonderful comments above except I will never feed goldfish for the reasons listed. I feel if someone values their RES as a pet they will not do anything intentionly to harm him.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:22 pm   

marisa wrote:No, I don't agree with what you're suggesting. Goldfish aren't a good choice of live fish to feed period. Why? Because they're quite fatty, produce a lot of waste in the tank, are more apt than other live food (like minnows or guppies, for example) to contain parasites, and because they contain thiaminase, an enzyme that breaks down and prevent the absorption of B vitamins. Frequent feeding can cause a Vitamin B deficiency and resultant neurological damage (difficulty with motor control and balance).

That is really awesome. I did not know that. Thank you for teaching me something new! Im glad I only buy my turt goldfish once a year :O

So if feeding them goldfish is bad, then what sort of fish are "good" for them, if there are any :/ I'll keep searching the forums though just in case this was already answered.
1 Female RES: Wufei, 7", age 5
1 Honduran Milk Snake: Fury, 5', age 7
1 Black and Gold Oranda: Fishy, 5", age 1
1 Male Betta: Mr. Bubbles, 2", age 1
Tigris Tusha

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:28 pm   

marisa is a fountain of wonderful information isn't she :)

As she mentioned, feeding them minnows and guppies is preferred.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to Feeding and Nutrition