Feeding and Nutrition :: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 pm   

Very Helpful!!! Thank you :)
Turtle Mummy 101

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:00 am   

Cutting it up is such a good idea! I didn't know that a bird's cuttle bone was the same as a turtle's. Totally could have saved myself some money. Ah well. Anyway, the way I feed it to my turtle is by wiggling it at him and he will take a bite. After a few bites he usually gets bored. I do this because when I put it in the water he pretty much leaves it alone after a while.
RES: Turtley - about 9" (She makes it a mission to measure her. :/)
Musk: Bolt - 4.5"
Mutt: Gaviota - small
jwinters

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 am   

I tried bird cuttlebone and found it to be very dry and spintery once the turtles munched on it; it made lots of sharp fragments in the water. I went back to using turtle cuttlebone; it's processing seems to leave it less powdery, helps it stay more intact.

I break off about a quarter of of the cuttlebone and toss that fairly large piece into the turtles' water. They eat it as they get around to it. So much to do in a day for a turtle. It takes them about a week to eat that quarter cuttlebone and I toss in another.
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:40 pm   

is it a necessary item
1>juv. res
1>ouachita map <spike><R.I.P>
2>dog<sunny><nikki>
5>african cichlids
1>kitty<marley>
coreyvht

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 pm   

coreyvht wrote:is it a necessary item

It's good for them to have some sort of calcium supplement. The amount of calcium in pellets and veggies often isn't enough.
Females tend to need/want more calcium than males. They've got a lot more body mass to maintain. My female will eat as much cuttlebone as I put in there. But my male will only eat a couple bites of cuttlebone a month, no matter how often I put it in there.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:30 pm   

I'm so glad that I found this forum. There are so many tips about keeping turtles(we call terrapin in the UK).
I went to get one from our local supermarket after reading the post. And guess what?? It's only £0.38($0.57 US)for one in the pet section. I was so thrilled! I ran back home and quickly peeled the backing. Broke into small pieces and gave one to each to our terrapin. They love it!! Thank you very much!!
terrapin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

would the cuttlebone give the water calcium if it starts to dissolve?and does any one know of turtles that dont eat it? Paddleton is very picky
Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you already have.

1 female midland painted turtle 4 to 6 inches long name is paddleton
1 Ball python - Delphy
8 mice( snake food)
paddleton

Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:31 am   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

It might add a little calcium, but not in a significant amount. Currently my turtles will chew a small amount but not eat it all.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 pm   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

my turtle wont go near the cuttlebone when i put it in his tank. i put in about a quarter of one. he swims away from it when it floats near him. any idea how i can get him to want to eat it?
itznic333

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:32 am   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

He will with time. :)
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

I agree with V Lou. They seem to be happy to much on it when they need it. If you find he's not eating it, just put in a small chunk once a week or so, (and scoop out the old ones), and when he's feeling the need for it, he's got a fresh piece.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
BullDog

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

Your turtle will soon love it. My turtle use to hate cuttlebone and never touched it, but now he eats it in seconds when I put it in his tank.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:52 pm   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

Can hatchlings eat this? If so how little should I make them? I have 2 so I should probe put 2 in so they don't fight. So a cuttle bone is the exact as a turtle bone?
carolyn17603

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:58 am   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

carolyn17603 wrote:Can hatchlings eat this? If so how little should I make them? I have 2 so I should probe put 2 in so they don't fight. So a cuttle bone is the exact as a turtle bone?

Cuttle bone is the same as turtle bone, just cheaper :) Just break the cuttlebone into small pieces, the size of their heads and throw it in the tank. They'll bite at it when they want :)
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:43 pm   Re: Pictures of Cuttlebone Backing

How do you attach the veggie clip to the tank? I have had the cuttlebone floating in my turtles tank. This was really good information since i had no idea how to give it to my turtle.
thanks,
mia
mia

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition