Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Have you tried a veggie clip or aquatic plants?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:50 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Mine will eat maybe one romaine leaf a week off a clip and that's it. And it only tears plants up. I tried 2x tuna and it could still absolutely care less about the jello. All it wants is pellets and crickets and worms. It definitely wont touch carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, anything...
asberry2

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

havent found a veggie clip yet. I have a bare tank, how do I put aquatic plants?
darla1699

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Look in the fish section for veggie clips. If you want simple plants, get any that can freely float, like anarchis.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

asberry2 wrote:Mine will eat maybe one romaine leaf a week off a clip and that's it. And it only tears plants up. I tried 2x tuna and it could still absolutely care less about the jello. All it wants is pellets and crickets and worms. It definitely wont touch carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, anything...

Mine either.. he/she will eat the red leaf lettuce everyday though. I have tried all kinds of vegetables and fruit, and so far I just end up scooping it out at the end of the day.

He is eating cuttle bone now, so thats a good thing.

Is it o.k to give a 6 month old a leaf of lettuce everyday with pellets every other day?

His shell seems a bit thin and brittle, and I am not sure if I should give him more or less of what he's getting.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:11 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

yup, its ok to give a 6 month old turtle a leaf of lettuce everyday with pellets ever other day.
when in doubt, I would double the lettuce and feed slightly less pellets than before.
the cuttlebone and some UVB rays should give the turtle's shell a boost.
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:43 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I am using a 100 watt house bulb for heat right now, and a UVB/UVA light from pet's mart for his light.

I will try and take a picture again of him and y'all can give me your opinion on his appearance.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:57 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

whats the UVB/UVA light from pet's mart your using?
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:48 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Gracie Turts wrote:whats the UVB/UVA light from pet's mart your using?

I forget, but it is a spiral one.
Into_the_Mystic

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Has anyone in the UK made this? I used Dr. Oekter Fine Leaf Gelatine, comes in 20g packets, its not powdered gelatin more like sheets of it. Anyway i used the whole packet and it didnt seem enough. I've just fed it to my turt and he loved it but it did start to dissolve when i put it in and its turned the water green (luckily i feed him in a separate container, otherwise i'd be doing a water change atm) anyway the reason i ask about people in the UK is because i'm wondering what you use? i think i'll look for powdered next time. but any suggestions on how to make it more jelly like would be great. Also can gelatin harm my turt? i dont want to end up using too much!

Thanks

Nick
nickt1988

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

The gelatin should be fine. As with anything you feed your turtles, be careful not to overdo it. I hope someone can answer your other questions!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

just made shelldon the jello shot and gave him a lil piece to try......and he tore it up! woo hoo im soooo glad.....he looked at it funny at first when it sunk in his water...and then zoom he went after it:) we still arent sure if hes really a he...but we call him that lol:)
I<3Shelldon
turtleluvgrl

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:29 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Mine started to eat the jello shot after I've added tuna juice to it. previously the mixture was purely made of veggies and gelatin. he swims after the jello as he takes a bite.
darla1699

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

here is my jello shots:

ingredients:
1 bag red leaf lettuce
1 leaf green lettuce
1 small carrot
1 small tomato
1/2 sweet potato
4 small chunks cuttlebone
1/2 can tuna meat (tuna in water)
tuna juice
some water
1 pack unflavored gelatin
pellets (put on top)

questions, though.
1. i decided to make this a staple. how many cubes per day should i give to dumbork?
2. do you have any idea on how long can they digest these things? before, when i feed him pellets and veggies, dumbork will poop on the next 20 minutes. when i gave him the jello this morning, i waited for him to poop but to no avail. (i feed him in a separate container).
3. i made a large batch but unfortunately i already put the gelatin mix (imagine a 1 pitcher turtle jello shot). how long can this last before it becomes inedible (for the turtle, of course)?
4.is it normal that my jello shot sinks? i've seen some pictures and the jello shots of others seem to float.

thanks!
dumbork enjoying jello shots:
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:25 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

not a question, but now a problem:

dumbork's poop is runny today (first day of jello shots). before, his poop is firm and long, now it's all over the place. could it be the vegetables? am i using too much? how about the gelatin?

also, i noticed that he's passing gas, because there are bubbles for 5 seconds, before i saw him poop.

what could be the problem?

help please!
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
dumbork14

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition