Feeding and Nutrition :: Turtle Jello Shots

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Did the jello shots work to your satisfaction?

Yes!
86%
No!
14%

Total votes : 120

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:52 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

So i am currently on my second batch of the Jello shots... I am a little worried. The first batch were a nice green color and the turtle just devoured them, This batch is the leftovers from the first batch that I froze, thawed and made, they are not green anymore but brown in color. I am guessing thats from freezing the leftovers. Anyone else experience this issue?
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I froze my leftovers but haven't had the guts to thaw them. How do you thaw them and what is there consistency? As far as the brown color, I think you're right. Freezing veggies does that (especially after they've been cut up)
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Is gelatin ok for RES's to eat?
JimmyLo

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

JimmyLo wrote:Is gelatin ok for RES's to eat?

Yes it is but it needs to be the unflavored kind. My turtle loves them and there are no ill effects in his diet or health from them.
1 male RES - Franklin
2 gold fish and 1 silver Fathead Minnow that started out as feeder fish & earned their right to live
3 Leopard Geckos - Gizmo, Snow and Boo
My Build Thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33545
MEandYouPhoto

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:26 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Tried this and my res loves them. my map is just picky likes bloodworms the best.Maybe he will eat them when he gets older.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I am debating on trying this out. It looks awesome! My turtles: Koopa and Mertyle eats their veggies but sometimes they are picky about it.

I was wondering if I could give it to them as food? And what other modification can I make?
Brokensky

Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:20 am   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

You can made almost any change... it's your choice :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:30 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

From the responses this sounds like the answer to my RES' veggie avoidance. Will be trying it next.
The easier it seems, the less you've been paying attention. (& Something about that Occam guy);)
Claynstone

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:31 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I recently acquired two neglected sliders. In wanting to create the most optimal habitat allowable I have researched their needs extensively. Unfortunately, discrepancies about nutrition abound in the absence of evidenced based outcomes. Some people advocate leafy greens while others caution against veggies with too much phosphorous. But the veggies high in vitamins A and K and calcium (such as kale and beet greens) also contain hight amounts of phosphorous and other potentially dangerous elements. Some people promote romaine lettuce, others feel it is empty. Some say carrots are a good choice but too much Vitamin A can be toxic (and carrots are high in sugar). Still, to promote a varied and balanced diet, I decided to introduce my new friends to raw veggies. I have one turtle that eats just about anything but the other is very finicky. In a comical kind of way, he takes a bite of leafy green, spits it out, and pushes it away with his leg. After scratching my head for a few days, I decided to read about homemade turtle food, which brings me to this morning's "turtle loaf". I didn't follow any hard and fast recipe but rather opted to use veggies I had on hand. I ended up grating/chopping equal proportions of sweet potato, carrot, kale, romaine, and beet greens. To the mix I added some pellets and tuna juice (for a fishy smell) along with a bit of grated apple. I also sprinkled some calcium powder fortified with vitamin D3 over the top, stirred, and added this concoction to three packets of gelatin. This particular combination yields quite a bit - about three weeks worth of food for two turtles (give or take). I decided to cube the veggie laden gelatin for storage (some in the fridge and some in the freezer). Upon serving I sliced the cubes to create thin patties. This was devoured in seconds without any mess and is really easy to make. What a relief!!! When I make the next batch I am going to try a different mix of veggies - maybe some red leaf lettuce and anacharis.

If anyone knows about which veggies to avoid, I would appreciate hearing from you...
lovemyturtles

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:17 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Romaine lettuce is fine, but cannot be the only thing a RES eats. There can be phosphorous in a diet but it should not exceed the amount of calcium. In the feeding section, we try to break down what can be used and how often. http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:17 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I recently made a mix of Phak Coy

and strawberry with a gelatin and then add cuttle bone. Is that kind of mix okay?
My Baby Turtles:
Kame : My spoiled one (R.I.P)
Kroten : My beautiful RES
Papoe : My Emydura Schultzei (Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle)
Kurome : My Chinemys Revesii (Chinese Three Keeled Pond Turtle)
Underneath The Shell
Youtube
novroz

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

It should be OK as part of a varied diet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:20 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

Thank you Steve :)
My Baby Turtles:
Kame : My spoiled one (R.I.P)
Kroten : My beautiful RES
Papoe : My Emydura Schultzei (Pink Belly Short Necked Turtle)
Kurome : My Chinemys Revesii (Chinese Three Keeled Pond Turtle)
Underneath The Shell
Youtube
novroz

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I am going to whip some of these up for my turts, but I only have hatchlings at the moment. Is it ok for them?
Starscream

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:44 pm   Re: Turtle Jello Shots

I don't see why not… what other things have you been feeding them?
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition