Feeding and Nutrition :: How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:28 pm   How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

I very recently adopted two 15 year old RES who are used to eating only goldfish and ReptoMin sticks (twice per day). Since I got them last Sunday, I've been trying to get them to eat veggies and have only given them sticks every other day. I cannot seem to find a veggie they like. I've tried fresh peas, carrots, zucchini, red leaf lettuce, broccoli and parsley. The only green I've seen them eat is duckweed which they ate very slowly over a few days. How do you teach an old turtle new (eating) tricks?
fanoflyfe

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:17 pm   Re: How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

There are usually 2 paths I would recommend....

Tough love - just keeping offering nothing but veggies
Jell-o recipe - home made turtle food so you can gradually adjust the amount of veggies

You can also try a veggie clip, which holds the lettuce in place and makes it a bit more easier for them to try it. Also some freshwater aquatic plants might be worth trying out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 pm   Re: How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

Thanks! I ordered some anacharis but haven't received it yet. I did something different this morning and shredded a little bit of zucchini which seems to have generated some interest. I do think I'll try your veggie only approach. Not sure how long to do that though, I don't want to starve them.
fanoflyfe

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 am   Re: How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

RES can either be real stubborn or absolute pigs. They usually have more of an appetite during summer (even if you keep their setup warm 365), but keep up your efforts. Good luck!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:15 pm   Re: How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

So far, they are definitely of the stubborn variety. I set up a nice big basking platform which is partly submerged to make it easier to climb on but they insist on trying to climb up from a much more difficult angle and failing.
fanoflyfe

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:07 am   Re: How do I get a older rescue turtles to eat veggies

Yeah, :lol: that's typical of all RES.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition