Habitat - Outdoor :: Not sure what to do

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:52 pm   Not sure what to do

I have 2 red eared sliders that i bought a year ago. They are in a 20g tank and about the size of my palm. I love them but they are just too much for me to handle. When I bought them the guy gave me a mini paragraph for a care sheet. So because I love animals I went online and looked them up to make sure I was doing everything right, and of course I found the right way to care for them. But a year later I have come to find that it's too much for my active life and I was wondering if I could set them free in our local pond. But I don't know if they would adapt well. Can someone please help!!
Toxic2977

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:49 am   

I wouldn't let them go if they've been captive their whole live, unfortunally, it doesn't seem like they're getting the care they deserve. I think you should think about giving them away. There's lots of sites online that have free classified postings. One I use is www.craigslist.com Or, you could look into giving them to some sort of SPCA or wildlife conservation organization in your area.

Hope this helps.
bradhart

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:05 pm   

Where are you located? Do a search for turtle rehoming/rescue agencies in your state and give them to someone who can find them a good home. Also try www.turtlehomes.org/usa/red_ear_slider_adoptions.shtml Don't take the easy way out and just let them go...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:47 pm   Actually

I take very good care of my Britney and Justin. They eat, bask, swim, and live in clean water. I just didn't think that when I bought them it would be this tough because I was very misinformed. I love my RESs very much. I just wondered if the letting them go would be better for them and I understand that it wouldn't because they are use to how they have been living. But I also realized this morning that I probably couldn't let them go anyway. So please do not try to assume something different just because a certain question is asked. They are very well taken cared of and in a couple of months they will be living in a huge tank. But thank you for letting me know it isn't a good idea to let them go.
Toxic2977

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:55 pm   Re: Not sure what to do

Toxic2977 wrote:I have 2 red eared sliders that i bought a year ago. They are in a 20g tank and about the size of my palm. I love them but they are just too much for me to handle. When I bought them the guy gave me a mini paragraph for a care sheet. So because I love animals I went online and looked them up to make sure I was doing everything right, and of course I found the right way to care for them. But a year later I have come to find that it's too much for my active life and I was wondering if I could set them free in our local pond. But I don't know if they would adapt well. Can someone please help!!

I don't think anyone is accusing you of not trying to take the best care of your turtles that you can. It's just that some of your comments sound like you were in a hurry to not to have them as a responsibility anymore. It's good to hear your giving them a better home yourself. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:26 pm   

Actually that's exactly what the post ment......" It doesnt seem like they're getting the care they deserve." Never did I say that I wasn't taking care of them.. just that it's tough. I just wish that they could frolic in a nice huge pond... but I guess the new tank they are getting will be good.. I'm done with this topic. Thanx for the help and concern.
Toxic2977

Return to Habitat - Outdoor