Habitat - Outdoor :: hiding spots

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:32 am   hiding spots

:cry: :cry: :cry: this question probably sounds really stupid. when i bought my turtles from the petstore, i explained to the young girl my situation, we have a 3 ponds with a small stream running through it (2 ponds approximately 2-3 feet deep and about 6 feet acrossed and one pond about 6 feet deep and 20 feet acrossed). i told the lady that we already had trout in the larger pond, but were thinking about putting turtles in the smaller ponds. i told her we currently do not have any way to prevent the turtles from "running away", but wanted to ask her if the turtles would be more likely to "stay in our pond" if we bought two of them and put them in the pond together (we ended up buying one boy and one girl .... or atleast according to the petsmart lady's best guess). well, after explaining the circumstances (including the fact that our ponds give plenty of oppurtunity for the turtles to hide if they get scared) the petsmart lady said if we put the turtles in the pond together, they would be much less likely to run away. well, less than 24 hours later, we cant find them. i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as of where i can expect my turtles to have ran off to. It was rather cold today for my area - (only around 65 degrees outside), and perhaps the water was too cold, and they ran off for some warmth? our pond has no sand, only has rocks at the bottom. In addition, there are large rocks as well as gravel surrounding the stream and ponds, and then the rest of the yard is just grass. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:D
joshua48

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:52 am   ummm...ok

turtles are very unpredictable. they most likley will run away and explore. you must make the pond un excabable. as for were they would have gone. i dont really know. i would check every were very thouroghly. they are kinda naturaly camofluged.

sorry for my spelling lol i'm not an expert when it comes to spelling.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:53 am   

I would double check your pond but you must realize it was a completely new environment for them and so they could have wandered anywhere they felt safe. Sliders are good climbers and must have boundaries to keep them in.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:55 am   diggers

there also really good diggers. so when you do find them. put up a fence thats is tall and also goes under ground about a foot.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:59 am   

check some of the other posts regarding lost turtles. however, a small pond like you described is no incentive for a turtle to stay.

good luck
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:40 pm   

They have to be in an enclosed area otherwise they'll do just what yours did. Are you near any other bodies of water? Woods?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Outdoor