Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor setup questions?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:52 am   Outdoor setup questions?

Hello all,

I have two red eared sliders who are outgrowing their indoor habitat. I would really like to move them outside in a rubbermaid 150 gallon tank. However, I am still a novice at this and I have a lot of questions!

1. I live in Los Angeles. Can I keep my turtles outside all year long? Would I need to heat the water?

2. Woodchips or sand for a basking area?

3. Do I need a heatlamp and/or uvb lamp?

4. Do I need to cover or surround the pond with wire?

5. What kind of plants can I put in and around it?

6. Do outdoor pounds require cleaning? How high matinence are they?

7. How the heck do i set up a pond filter? Where do I plug it into? Where should I buy it?

Thanks for all the help!!! I really need this to work they cant stay inside any longer! I will have to give them away otherwise.
Rubymcc

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:08 am   Re: Outdoor setup questions?

Hi Ruby!

1 Yes, you should be able to keep them out year round, though you should have something larger than a 150 gallon. A heater would a be a good idea in the cooler months, but that depends on the turtles ages, health, size, and temperature swings.

2 Sand would be better.

3 If the pond gets some direct sunlight, then no.

4 Some sort of protection is necessary.

5 There are many kinds, checked the safe plant list.

6 Ponds will require similar maintenance as a tank inside... partial or whole water changes, filter cleaning.

7 You will have a lot of options for filtration, you can even use some aquarium filters depending on how you have your pond setup. Any and all equipment near, around and in water should be plugged into an outlet with GFCI protection.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor