Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor turtle ramp

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 pm   Outdoor turtle ramp

Hello. I am new here on this forum, and relatively new to turtle pet-keeping.

I have made this, the ramp, for my RES (see image). It's a temporary solution until I am have one custom made using aluminium. Right now I am not sure how to make a ramp for it to climb out of the water.

Can I use a wooden plank? That is, plunging it into the water and leaving it there. WIll this affect the water quality? Hell, will my turtle even know how to use the 'inside' and 'outside' ramps?

I haven't placed my turtle into its new home because I am waiting for rain water to collect and then using it for the turtle tank. I live in Mauritius (google it) and I know the rain water is very safe to use. Hell, even the tap water isn't as chlorinated as in other countries.
Attachments
IMAG1309[2].jpg
sharvyn

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:26 pm   Re: Outdoor turtle ramp

Yeah, the wood will likely get moldy pretty quick. There is also some concern about oils/sap from the wood causing irritation but that might be a bit overblown. How long will it be used for?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 pm   Re: Outdoor turtle ramp

As Steve said pretty moldy in time. Also wood will splinter causing problems. Chemicals will leach into the water from the wood.
You say temporary until you make a aluminum one , I would rethink that too.
I used to get out the water a piece of vented soffit material from a construction site they did not need . Something like this : https://www.lowes.com/pd/12-in-x-143-75 ... it/1095087
What about some real driftwood for in the water. Just boil it a few times to remove any hitchhikers in it.
Just a wide mud/sand/rock ... ramp on the outside would be much easier too. I could see a turtle sliding off the wood or aluminum outside part hitting that cinder block . You could even use the vented soffit material on the outside ramp to , just brace it up if needed depending on how long you want it. You could double it up for more strength too if needed depending on size of turtle.
Would last forever.

If you are set on using aluminum being you live on an island bet you have or can find a old torn cast net ? For traction glue a piece on it with safe silicone in several spots so it's not a slip an slide. Also who ever custom making it have them roll the edges or crimp edges for safety , and the corners too !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 am   Re: Outdoor turtle ramp

I agree. It will definitely get moldy and whatelse.

@steve I won't be using the wooden plank now. Though I will be using the basking area for a month or two until I can find something appropriate.

@litefoot I have looked around for these materials but I can't find any. The local hardware stores don't sell these, even those cheap plastic egg crates things I saw people using. I will be using plywood for the outside plank as I did for the corners of the basking area. As I mentionned, this is temporary until I can find the proper materials. Thanks for the ideas, I'll be invading the local hardware stores looking for these. If I find nothing, I will be making the aluminium one.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:01 am   Re: Outdoor turtle ramp

It helps to think outside the box for ideas. The inserts ( firm plastic ) that go under a cushion on a chair when one try's to make it last until a new cushion can be made. The ridges on them to keep them from sliding are great grips for a turtle. A lid to a tote with holes punched in it for grip make good ramps.
Plastic material would be much safer on the inside part than any metal. Now a days there are so many different alloys in aluminum to make it useable .... well pure aluminum would cost an arm and two legs !
Look around construction sites , some of the materials used to protect there products are ridged plastic? What about by the docks , broken shipping containers , the neoprene ones are great just ask may give you a broken one.
Here's a good one , thick rubber stepping stones or thick rubber door mats cut to size. You could make a PVC frame to hold it up. If a large thick type ( industrial / commercial) you could drape it over edge of tank and instantly have an inside and outside ramp. Maybe a brick here and there to help hold it up in place.
Be creative with your ideas and it can work out.

Normally I do not like "salt water" driftwood but sure you have some on the island ? If you cook / boil it in a large pot several times changing the water each time could be made safe.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm   Re: Outdoor turtle ramp

Oooh you live in Mauritius ? Me too ! :D Black River !

Like litefoot said, I would boil the plank first. I would replace it with plexiglass (which I did) or some other plastic materials. I got everything I wanted roaming Espace Maison. Are you sure you wanna only use rain water ? It's the season now but it will be troublesome in the long term. In my area there is little to no chlorine in the water so I just use tap water without any conditioner just fine. Always do a quick check before just in case ! There has been some cases where turtles go blind because of the chlorine, even here.
You can help your turtle finding the side ramp by placing some treats on it. They walk to grab it and go back in the water to eat, but it does the trick.
PokePony

Return to Habitat - Outdoor