Habitat - Outdoor :: desert ponds

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:07 pm   desert ponds

my husband and i are considering relocating to las vegas. we currently have a 9 year old male res named taco. he is about 7 inches. we absolutely adore him of course! we currently live in a small apartment in chicago with no outdoor space. we have been talking about making him a really great outdoor enclosure and pond when we move. i have dug and dug and i can't seem to find the info i am looking for.

short question. is it safe to do? is it too hot? what should we do to combat the high temps?

our plan would be to bring him inside for the winters since it gets a bit too cold at night. in the warmer months we would a setup similar to this i think. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... a3a06c.jpg but with a high wall and chicken wire covering the top. he is one heck of an escape artist and it would keep out predators.

thoughts?
ajarvis

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:52 pm   Re: desert ponds

The average highs will make it difficult in an outdoor enclosures. The pond will have to be very deep, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Maybe create one but also have something you can setup temporary when the weather is uncooperative (a stock tank is easy to setup and move).
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor