Habitat - Outdoor :: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:12 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

It depends on what kind of filter system you're doing. If you're making your own, then yes--you will need to get a pump before building the actual filter. If you're buying a pre-made one, then the pump and filter may come together (or not, depending on where you bought it). Either way, they're separate parts but work together. The pump doesn't perform independent filtration, it is simply a method of transporting water to your filter.

All the pond information lost me for a little while, too--don't worry about it! I can tell you that I built my own pond filter, and it works just fine--and for a fraction of the price of a pre-made one. Just don't forget to buy a UV sterilizer, too!
Last edited by Jeremiah on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:15 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

I've found the Pondmaster PK1500 kit. Would that work?
rschreck

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

Jeremiah

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:43 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

Yup that's it.
rschreck

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

I think it looks fine; in fact, it's got more than enough power for the 125 gallons of water you mentioned.
Jeremiah

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 am   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

What about running your own canister on the stock tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:33 am   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

I like the Rubbermaid (black) stock tanks. I would avoid the metal ones. You can buy pond filters as a complete kit. I seen them at menards the other weekend but they are cheaper online. "EBay" I also have never used one but they look to be pretty simple in setup. Do you have any pond or garden stores in your area? If so, you could ask them for advice. Then again you could just raise it about 9" with some kind of stand. I used wood. Then you could use your filters. A lot of the good pond filters come with what looks like a canister filter anyway. They can also be more expensive than an fluval fx6.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 am   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

I only have a 306 at the moment. I would have to buy another canister filter. So I have to buy another filter no matter which way I go. Oh decisions, decisions. Haha. You guys are great help. I really appreciate it.
rschreck

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:31 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

Yikes, that was a big image.
Last edited by rschreck on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rschreck

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:32 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

My wife loved the galvanized one. She said "it goes with the farm theme".
rschreck

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 pm   Re: Outdoor tank with 2 Fluval 306's

I made my own pond filter out of a large 25gal plastic planter pot. Added a screw capped drain near bottom (on the side), and then filled with various media.
For the large media I used golf ball sized whiffle balls. Next size media I used coconut fibers. Then topped it with sand.
I ran PVC down the middle and added a "T" split at the bottom of the hose. On each end of the "T" I added a 45 degree turn.
Then to top it all off (literally) I added the plant water cress (grows like a weed when feeding off all the "funk").
The pump is at the deepest portion of my pond. It feeds through a UV sterilizer system, then on to the filter.

The water filters from bottom to top. When it reaches the top it waterfalls over the side of the pot.
Every other month I empty out the large funk via the drain. I do not change out the large media as I want to keep the good bacteria going (plus the red worms that are living in there are another good food source, but this time for the fish in the pond).

I've had this filter system going for about 18 months now. Works great!
The RES loves to eat the water cress that grows over the side.
Oh, and not only does the water cress work as both a filtration, and food for the turtle, but it also makes it so mosquitoes are not able to breed in any of the standing water (about 3") at the top of the filter.

From pump, to UV sterilizer, to materials making filter, all totaled no more than about $175. Look around on the internet for the UV sterilizer, and the pump. You can get way better deals than walking into a pet store.
bstone23

Previous

Return to Habitat - Outdoor