Habitat - Outdoor :: need help with outdoor habitat

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:52 am   need help with outdoor habitat

We found 2 small (less than 1.5 inches) RES in our pool earlier this week. We are very interested in keeping them but only outdoors. We live near Houston, TX so lots of sunshine and warm weather for a good part of the year is not usually a problem. As time passes and the turtles are doing well and are growing well we totally are interested in having a small pond built in our yard for them. However, for now I think it is best if we start with a temporary but satisfactory outdoor habitat for them. I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars now if needed. I am doing research but just don't know where to begin. We have a small covered patio with an outdoor electrical outlet. We could have them under the covered area or move the tank further out so they get natural sun - which is my preference. I know their tank will have to be cleaned but I'm hoping for a setup that doesn't have to be cleaned on a weekly basis. Is this even possible if we keep them outside because I've read natural sunlight will increase algae growth, etc. I'm doing lots of research and just don't know where to begin. Should we get a glass tank, a preformed pond, just use a Rubbermaid tub? Exactly how many gallons should we start with for these size turtles? Aside from the tank I know we will need a water filtration system (but what is a good kind and should it filter out a higher gallon capacity than our tank holds), a basking area and then will we still need a water heater (last night the temp dipped down to 50 here) but soon that will not be the case and it will stay warm. Is it best to forgo any UV lamps and have the tank out in the sun more or best to keep it under the covered patio and have UV lamp? Please provide any help you can as I really want to get this habitat set up over the weekend. If anyone is willing to discuss this on the phone with me I think that could be helpful.
tucktheturtle

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:42 pm   Re: need help with outdoor habitat

I'd start at looking at the largest stock tank you can get, starting at 150 gallons. After that, you need to know their genders as a male will need to be separated.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor