Habitat - Outdoor :: winter

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:42 pm   winter

ok guys and ladies im a weeee bit nervous. this is the first year 4 of my turtles are staying out side all year. and yep you guessed it this is the first winter. so i have some questions. but first here is my pond setup.
above ground 3 feet deep. filter and also going this weeked to get a big bubble stone. also i live in montgomery alabama
questions
is it deep enough?
when do i stop feeding
should i put a small heater in

this is the first winter for 3 of them, one (stumpy) she was a rescue. my wifes uncle found her in his pool bleeding becouse her foot was gone as well as 3 of her front claws. shes doing great all healed up. im not to worried about her. well ok i am.
any help would be great thanks
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
1 king snake,1 ball python,1 red tailed boa,1 dumerils boa,1 leopard tortoise,1 leopard gecko,4 crested geckos,1 rose haired tarantula,3 bearded dragons,2 cats,4 dogs
mantis

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:18 pm   Re: winter

How many gallons is that pond? It sounds deep enough, and you can reduce the feeding gradually. It doesn't look like your temps will hit freezing, so I don't think you will need a heater.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:08 pm   Re: winter

cool thanks its about 350 gallons. its just temporary. i just started digging there forever home in ground pond. it should be finished by spring next year. i just want to make sure that my little shelled friends will be ok.
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
1 king snake,1 ball python,1 red tailed boa,1 dumerils boa,1 leopard tortoise,1 leopard gecko,4 crested geckos,1 rose haired tarantula,3 bearded dragons,2 cats,4 dogs
mantis

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 pm   Re: winter

To be honest, I have no idea but it should be OK. Any chance you can talk to local keepers?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:52 pm   Re: winter

other than the zoo i dont know of any that keep turtles in an above ground pond.
4 res
3 ybs
1 black knob sawback map
1 reg map
1 reg musk
2 razor back musk
mantis

Return to Habitat - Outdoor