Habitat - Outdoor :: When to Winter, and how

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:33 pm   When to Winter, and how

Hi Everyone,
I’m approaching the first winter of my 2800 gallon “above ground” turtle pond(in Maryland). My pond is 3 cinderblocks high and in the middle, there is a 4 foot pit that is filled with 2 feet of sand, creating a “below ground” hibernation area for the turtles. I have 4 adult slider turtles(RES, YBS).
1. When do I stop feeding my turtles?
2. When/what date do I shut down my pond?
3. I’m planning to turn my strong pump/waterfall off in the winter and use an aerator. Is this a good idea? If so, what aerator can you recommend for me to ensure my turtles have enough oxygen? I am not planning on using a heater.
4. Is my hibernation pit sufficient? I’ve never seen the turtles bury in the sand, I hope it is soft enough?
5. Any other advice to ensure that my turtles survive?
greyturtle

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 am   Re: When to Winter, and how

Have they hibernated before?

I think an aerator should be fine. Would it be enough to prevent freezing? As for sand, I don't know. Most use a muddy bottom.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 pm   Re: When to Winter, and how

Hi Steve,

I don't think so. I was given the turtles so I think they have been inside during winters. This first year will be an experiment. If I use an aerator, I will watch for extra cold nights and maybe use a heater or something to prevent it from freezing. I am worried about the sand though, does it become too hard for them to bury in underwater? I have not seen them ever bury in it.
greyturtle

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:39 am   Re: When to Winter, and how

They might not actually bury themselves but lurk on the bottom. They actually "breath" when hibernating though openings on the cloaca, so I don't see them being completely buried.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 am   Re: When to Winter, and how

Steve,
Thanks for the advice. Someone else told me that sand is anaerobic, and would not be good for oxygen porousness. They advised me taking the sand out. I also keep hearing that turtles bury themselves in leaves at the bottom. I have a huge elephant ear, so maybe I'll cut off the leaves and put them in the pit, for a "Blanket". And I did see the turtles "lurking" on the bottom a lot, they loved it down there, lurking, but not burying.
greyturtle

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:00 am   Re: When to Winter, and how

It shouldn't be a problem for RES. They are not as sensitive as fish and will also probably stir it up a little as well. Leaves might provide a bit more cover, so they might feel safer but as far as I know, its not a requirement.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor