Habitat - Outdoor :: Snapping turtle with sliders

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:18 pm   Snapping turtle with sliders

Hi.My uncle recently gave me as a gift a 2 inch commen snapper that was in his personal fishing pond that he was worried about killing his fish. The only problem i have is that i already have 6 young sliders i had rescued from a bumper boat area that was vacant where there was no way to get out or even anything to float on anything.I am currently about to help build a 1000 to 1250 gallon pond where i am going to keep the turtles but have learned that snapping turtles are very agressive to other turtles so i was wondering if there was anyway to keep the turtle without it hurting my other turtles. I do not have the money to buy a large aquarium.
sliderz

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:55 pm   Re: Snapping turtle with sliders

i would say no, i wouldnt even keep snapping turtles personally
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:54 am   Re: Snapping turtle with sliders

Snappers can live with sliders in a lake but not in a tank. They don't even like being with eachother and most snappers lose there tails as baby's because of there brothers and sisters snapping them right off. Also common snappers get VERRRYYYYYYY big. I mean huge. I had two ten year olds and they weighed more then a large dog almost. Not something for kids or even most adults. They can take a hand right off when full grown. No joke.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:28 am   Re: Snapping turtle with sliders

I personally say keep the snapper because I own 4 of them and they are each 1 and 1/2 feet long by 6 inches wide and are huge and I raised them from hatchlings a year ago and hand feed them worms and stuff and have never been bit (knock on wood) and have never been snapped at, and yes they are aggressive but they are awesome and I love them
Gator1863

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:12 am   Re: Snapping turtle with sliders

maybe if your building a pond that big you can block off a section somehow for the snapper?
Tokapeli

Return to Habitat - Outdoor