Habitat - Outdoor :: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 pm   My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Hi Everyone,
I have an 8 year old female red ear slider, approx 9". We are in PA, so she comes into a 100 gallon tank in the winter, and is currently outside in a 200 gallon pond, with access to a sand basking area. She has destroyed all the plants I put in there and has eaten all 24 fish I bought her 5 days ago. She does get a lettuce mix in the summer from our garden too. Today a bird landed near the pond, and to our amazement, she leaped up, grabbed it by the leg and pulled it under the water. We scooped out everything as quick as possible, but she had in a million pieces in no time.
I am shocked to say the least. In the winter we feed her bugs that we pick up around the house and turtle sticks, about 10 a day. She has had a tank mate, but he disappeared from our pond. Not sure if a bird scooped down and got him or what, as there was no way he escaped. (we even layered the 6 X 6' area with hardware cloth six inches under the sand/ dirt area.)
I did not know if anyone else has ever heard of this, so I thought I would do a post. I know they are not supposed to eat this much, am I doing something wrong? or was this payback to the bird kingdom if her boyfriend was taken by a bird?? just joking of course..
alongtime

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 pm   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

yea ive heard of it, my turtles seem to get to eat a bird at least once a year. Usually its a baby bird that falls into the water and my turtles eat. You did nothing wrong its just something turtles will do. My turtles actually killed one 2 weeks ago so im defiently can see another one being taken in the future.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 pm   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Someone said their turtle grabbed a bird that flew into their apartment, this is the first time I'm hearing more stories. Not that I'm surprised, I just thought it was rare for the forum :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:30 am   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Ah, im sure there is other storys too, i know ive had a mouse, vole, frogs and a toad get into the turtles and get eaten in someway before.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:31 am   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Thank you for your replies. We have had her since she was the size of a silver dollar, and I have never seen her so hungry. She hasn't laid any eggs in a while, so maybe she is just gearing up for that.
My husband saw a large crow perched on a branch near the pond, is it possible that he grabbed the male? We also have an occasional Bald Eagle, so he may have grabbed him. The male was smaller than her, and much more friendly and out going. We want to get her another companion, but she is much larger that the ones at our local humane society. Will this be a problem? I am thinking we will put a net over the land side so they will be protected from the birds. Thank you all again for your help.
alongtime

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:17 pm   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Birds can be predators, though they often go after hatchlings. Raccoons are always a problem. Adding a turtle is fine, but you must be prepared to separate them if they don't get along, which happens more often than people realize.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Years ago there was a pond near where I lived and I'd go feed the ducks. I'd also watch the RES take baby ducks down drowning them. It was sad to watch but It happened a lot.
2 - RES
-Slider 5.5" male
-Luckie 5"
1- eastern painted turtle - Anubis 5.25"
1- southern painted turtle - AmunRa 2.5"
1- northern dbt - Tiki 4"
1- concentric northern dbt - Isis 5"
2 - DSH cats Spike and Grim
tammi

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:39 pm   Re: My Red EAr Slider Just Caught a Bird!!

Wow! I didn't realize they would go after the birds, but thinking about it, I guess it makes sense. There is a small lake near where my mom lives and there are a lot of RES there that are quite aggressive. Mom and Sis tried feeding the ducks there, but the turtles kept taking the food before the ducks could get any of it. They were HUGE too! Probably some as much as 15 or more inches! I'd say very spoiled animals from all the human feeding. Glad I haven't seen them capture baby ducks though. That would just ruin my image of turtles!
Live life to the fullest...Today may be your last chance.

1 RES Male Turtimus Prime (Angel/little fighter)
2 Cats both female
Dilute Tortie- Henna (aka Play Machine!)
Med. Hair Tuxedo- Jill (aka Queen)
JCsTurt

Return to Habitat - Outdoor