Habitat - Outdoor :: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:23 pm   Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

So my red eared slider, 7 inch (approximately) female, is in need of a larger tank, and I was thinking that a nice, cheap option would be a kiddie pool. I was trying to decide between a hard, plastic pool and an inflatable one. The problem is that I keep imagining that I'll stick her in an inflatable one, turn around, then hear air escaping from punctures created by her claws and mouth.
Is it possible to keep her in an inflatable one? And with either option, any reccomendations on a possible filter set up? Thanks for the help!
CheckeredTurtle

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 pm   

Turtle's claws can be very sharp and strong. I think it's risky to use inflatable
kiddie pool, especially for a turtle that size. Use a hard plastic one instead.

Use the filter like Painteds4life's. You can probably use smaller version, depending
on the pool's size.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewt ... 570#258570
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
Kemul

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:36 pm   

I wouldn't use an inflatable one and those hard plastic ones are pretty small. What size were you looking to get?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:24 pm   

Get one of those floppy sided kid pools... the ones that used to always have animals printed on the sides. Very stable when they're full of water. Or a stock tank.
happycamper

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:37 pm   

Hey happycamper, I've been looking to get one for my turtle's backyard adventures. One thing I noticed in reviews is that the bottom layer seems puncture prone and needs to be patched up (kit usually included).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:51 pm   Re: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

So to give an update:

I did get her an inflatable pool (5feet across), and it lasted a week before raccoons (of all things) got into it and slashed it a couple times.

After some moving around I got her the floppysided kid pool, which was very large and great. I did get some tears on the bottom from the bricks I had put in for a basking spot. However, the real problem was that the sides started to crack from sun exposure. The only way to prevent that would have been to drain the pool every night probably which would be too much waste of water.

So now I'm out of ideas. I've been looking at preformed pond liners from Orchard's supply, does anybody know if these are any good? Currently she (has had her first egg batch now 8 inches) is in a hard plastic pool I got from Petsmart which is too small for her. For now she's okay since it's winter but I want to have her moved into a habitat more fit for her by spring. If all else fails I'm considering just getting a pond liner and digging a hole in my backyard.
CheckeredTurtle

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:43 am   Re: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

Will she always be outside or just certain times?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:33 pm   Re: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

rubbermaid makes some real good ones that are very durable...search "rubbermaid livestock tubs" and you will see many examples of what people have done..I put a 150 gallon tub underground. Everyone once in a while you will find one on craigslist for cheap. Do a search here and on google and you will have many suggestions/ideas. If you want to get something that you is not very large and inexpensive rubbermaid also make those smaller 10-25 gallon tubs as well...there are many options out there for you
THERUIZFAMILY

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:24 pm   Re: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

Stock tank - that's the way to go.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:19 pm   Re: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

I've been thinking of putting a stock tank into the ground, but did anyone have problems with needing to get a permit? Where I live you need a permit to build a pool or spa, but it's not very clear how they feel about ponds that kids won't be swimming in. My turtle stays outside during the day and goes into her feeder tank at night because we have a lot of racoons that I'm pretty sure would eat her if they found her.

And does anyone know of cheap filters that would work for a 150 gallon tank?
CheckeredTurtle

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:11 pm   Re: Red eared slider + inflatable kiddie pool = disaster?

I don't think it would be an issue to put it underground... I don't think anyone has mentioned acquiring a permit for such a project. My guess is that pools and spas need the appropriate plumbing permits. Will they have access to land and that is why you want it into the ground? I can think of a few pros and cons regarding it.

I just came across your mention of raccoons... I would be more inclined to leave it above ground and well protected against predators.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor