Habitat - Outdoor :: Habitat outdoors

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:49 am   Habitat outdoors

I installed all 7 turts in their outside pond on Wed. May 5th. The temp fluctuations have been a bit on the wild side-for instance, last night it dropped down to the low 40s. Right now,at 8:30 AM CDST it's already up to 57 and supposed to go into the 70s. Yesterday afternoon, I fed 'em all a couple of mealworms apiece. I just checked and all the turts are up basking, warming up from last night. They are very adaptable to temp changes. I helped them by lowering their basement pond water temp to 62 deg. F. They eat when their water is cold and are not as affected as much as you would think by the temp changes. The water in the pond heats up rapidly because it's only 18" deep. By that same token, it cools down at night. I'll have to go out in the early morning and do a temp check and I'll let you know. You can see the tracks of the snails as they go around the pond. The tracks look like a blind man mowing a lawn--it's a hoot! I can't tell if any have been eaten 'cause they're all over the pond and some are hidden under the Koi Kastle and the basking tower.
George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:00 pm   

Very cool! Hopefully the temps will level out soon.
judo42

Return to Habitat - Outdoor