Habitat - Outdoor :: Any ideas for floating plants that the turtle won’t eat?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:12 am   Any ideas for floating plants that the turtle won’t eat?

Hey all,

I haven’t needed this forum for quite some time, but I love it as a great resource!! I was finally able to build an above ground pond for my RES a few years ago and I’m having trouble finding plants for her pond that she doesn’t eat! I’ve tried water hyacinth, water lettuce, duckweed, water lilies, Amazon swords, she eats EVERYTHING! Plus I live in Southern California so it’s difficult/expensive to get things shipped here that are deemed invasive such as water lettuce. Has anyone had any luck with floating or submerged plants in their turtle pond? Or is mine just THAT ravenous?

I’ve included a photo of my set-up. The upper level is a bog filter. The lower level is a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank.
I’ve even tried adding some floating planters (pictured) but she kept knocking them over in the water.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attachments
6CF7B6E2-A1CA-4585-9765-C8617EDB5A82.jpeg
B5D60DF6-80C9-4ED2-B842-A5A838AE4661.jpeg
B5D60DF6-80C9-4ED2-B842-A5A838AE4661.jpeg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 25526 times
kneenuh

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:11 pm   Re: Any ideas for floating plants that the turtle won’t eat?

Hey kneenuh, I don’t think there is an easy answer since some RES will gladly eat what others won’t. Bitter plants might be an option, though those are usually tough and maybe something you don’t want in the pond. Maybe something that grows fast might last a bit longer. The pond looks terrific!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:24 pm   Re: Any ideas for floating plants that the turtle won’t eat?

Do you have any examples of bitter plants? I don’t know what would be bitter for her, but also non-toxic.
kneenuh

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 7:34 pm   Re: Any ideas for floating plants that the turtle won’t eat?

Maybe Anubius, though I have not researched it. Most freshwater aquatic plants are fine for RES.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor