Habitat - Indoor :: Water In Aquarium too high?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:13 pm   Water In Aquarium too high?

I have a 20lg aquarium with 2 hatchlings. I have all the requirements as far as filter ( I actually have 2 in there!) heater, basking light, floating dock etc. My question is how high should the water level be? I have mine filled about 3/4th. You can also see pictures on my website. When my friend at work saw the pictures she was like in shock at the water level. She said it was way to high and should only be about 2inches deep for hatchlings. I was quite embarrased especially since she is the type of person who feels is ALWAYS right. Please help. Are my little guys in danger. P.S. They seem to be fine and show no signs of stress.
~SweetJean~

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:25 pm   

Your water level is fine.. As long as you have places for them to grab onto to rest. RES LOVE deep water..
Scooter (10") & B.C.(11") both female.
150 gal with 2 Pondmaster 1500s
soopermum62

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:26 pm   

I looked at the pics on your site, and what you have there is perfect! You may even be able to put a bit more water in, but make sure it's still low enough that they can't climb out. If you do add more water, check the basking temp because it'll push the basking dock closer to the light.

The only worry with hatchlings is to make sure they don't have to swim from the very bottom to the top to get air. I see you have little resting spots under water for them and that will help with that problem! They really are great swimmers. I kept my water level a little low for a couple of weeks and raised it slowly to make sure they were good swimmers but I don't really think it was necessary. I'm just a worrier

I also have a friend that thinks she knows it all. I think everybody has one of those :wink: Just do what you already KNOW is right and let her say what she wants. Just smile and nod. :D
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:41 pm   

Thanks for the replies, I feel so much better now. It's funny because I was never really a pet person and now Its like I Love them so much! lol Go figure. They are so spoiled! They have a 55 gallon tank coming there way and they are only about 1 1/4 inches! Thanks again.
~SweetJean~

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:51 pm   

I agree, the water level sounds fine, here is a picture of my tank, notice the water level:
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:56 pm   

Nice Aquarium. Lots of swimming space.
~SweetJean~

Return to Habitat - Indoor