Habitat - Indoor :: Fungi, Tank set up, filter... and jus read the post :p

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:50 pm   Fungi, Tank set up, filter... and jus read the post :p

Ok, ive just bought a Brand new 4ft tank its sooo cool :lol: , my old tank had all fungi growing over the glass, filter, gravel and rocks. :( I do not want this to happen to my new habitat for my turt :!: What can i do?
Another thing is that my turtle never goes into the basking area i have a fluresant light over the whole aquarium!, I have gravel a few rocks a heater and a filter is all that ok? The last thing is the filter i have a fluval 204 with biomass and 2 bags of carbon ive had these for about 4-5 months now and i was wondering wheather i should replace them or get different things to put in the filter like polywool or somthing?
Also should i make any chemical changes to the water?

Im 14, 15 in september and spent over £200 (which is roughly $480) so remember if you dont have the time or money to give the proper care to a turt then DONT get one you will just ruin its life....

Thx for all your help! Its much appreciated
-Turtles are for life, know how to care for them-
Neco

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:18 pm   

You need a bigger filter than the 204 (try to get one rated for 3X the size of your tank.

Read the info on this site for more info on what you need. It will tell you a lot more about what you need.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:12 am   

Yeah but that doesnt solve the problem of the fungi. And i think i need a better light :?
Neco

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:44 pm   

Do you really mean fungi, or do you mean algae (which is usually green)? If you mean algae, better filtration and less light (if the tank was in front of a window, move it) would help.

Carbon is effective for only so long, and should probably should be changed monthly (what you have has outlived its usefulness, especially in such a small filter).

As for the aquarium light, was it meant for fish? If so, it needs to be changed. Look for a Reptisun 5.0 UVB light. Is there a plastic or glass covering over it? If so, take it off. There shouldn't be any barrier between a UVB light and the turtle. Try to have as much of it over the basking area (not more than 12 inches away) along with a heat lamp.

I'd also get rid of the gravel--to hard to keep clean and if your turtle decides to eat it, it could cause health problems (impaction).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:20 pm   

ok, thanks alot, what should i replace the gravel with?
Neco

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:46 am   

I'd put some smooth river rocks that are larger than his head (so they can't be eaten) into the tank. You don't need a lot, just enough so that he can push them around when he wants to. (Some people have a bare tank bottom, but I like the look of the rocks and I like to give the turt something to do. It's up to you.)
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to Habitat - Indoor