Habitat - Indoor :: Thermometers

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:13 am   Thermometers

I had a glass mercury thermometer in the tank and they kept knocking it loose and I was afraid they may break it. I replaced it with a plastic one that apparently has alcohol in it? Anyway, the original one read the water temp at 75. The new one says 80. Which should I go by? I don't want to turn the water heater down just in case.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:41 am   Indoors

Jen,
Instead of trying to keep a thermometer permenently in the tank and seeing as how you used the glass one to set the heater in the first place, why don't you use it to take spot readings now and then. I bought a cheap little thermom at Petco that had a tube filled with some Red liquid in it and had a metal backing with degree lines on it and the top was bent to form a hanger. I could check the water temp and then lay it on the basking slab. I mean, once you set the water temp with the heater, it doesn't change. I've never had one that did. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:46 am   

Just part of my OCD I guess :oops: . Just want to keep it there in case the heater dies or something. I'm a compulsive checker already, and if I did that, I'd be checking every 10 min anyway.. :lol:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:01 am   

I think we are all compulsive checkers :lol:

Check this quote I found:
Alternatives to traditional mercury thermometers include Teflon-coated mercury thermometers that are resistant to breakage but are slightly more expensive. The traditional alternative to mercury-free thermometers is the alcohol thermometer, which is less hazardous but also less accurate. Thermometers filled with petroleum-based mineral spirits are even safer. Finally, microprocessor-based thermometers offer a digital readout.

From: http://www.altcorp.com/DentalInformation/homemenace.htm

Also check this site out:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/g ... n99812.htm
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:34 pm   

I just use the stick on the glass thermometres..
you know.. the thermal stickers. cheap.. wont break unless you pull it off.. and you don't have to worry about your turtle knocking it, since you stick it on the outside.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:35 pm   

I've actually got one on there...darn thing won't come off. Says 82 degrees... :?
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:23 pm   

i use about 4 different kinds all stuck in different spots around the tank. they are all pretty much bang on.

they come off with razor blades.. don't cut yourself though. :wink:
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:45 pm   

thanks..never would have thought of that
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:10 pm   

mine ripped once when i used a razor, it was on a plastic container which i think is why.

but they have so called "Movable Thermometers"

i have this one for the uncompleted basking area
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:30 am   

Has anyone used a thermometer with a probe?, like the ones they use to tell the temp. inside the house and outside, I was wondering if it would be better since only the tip of the probe needs to be in the water.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:54 am   Indoors

Yeah, Stray. My basement 265 gal. pond heater is run by a probe. It's on the pond bottom though. The wire from it runs up to the control unit and another wire runs down to the heater that is suction-cupped to the pond side. The heater is enclosed in a protective sleeve. It's a 500 watt unit and keeps that full-to-the-top pond water right where I set it. I got it from drsfostersmith.com and it wasn't too expensive. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Return to Habitat - Indoor