Habitat - Indoor :: Aquarium Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:24 pm   Aquarium Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels

Hi everyone,

So i recently was doing a water quality test today and noticed that the ammonia levels was at .25 PPM, Nitrite .25 PPM and Nitrate at about 10 PPM which was weird since I had done a partial water change and a test after and they were at 0 though the ammonia may have been at .25 or slightly lower as it's hard to tell the difference between the 2 colors at least for me. I wanted to ask if I should be worried. Please note I had recently changed to a new cascade 700 cannister filter since my whisper ex45 died on me. had to use a TetraFauna Decorative ReptoFilter for a day or 2 before I got the new one. I have 2 RES turtles about 2 inches maybe slightly bigger in a 20 gallon tank filled close to the top with a above tank basking area. The temperature on the digital probe thermometer is 79.8 F and the JW Pet Company Smarttemp Thermometer has it at 77-78. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
aznchris

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:33 pm   Re: Aquarium Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels

I would not be too concerned, but you will probably need to do more with the water changes. Have you tested your tap water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:20 am   Re: Aquarium Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels

Hi, I do partial water changes every week and usually top off the tank if needed mid week. I tested the tap for ammonia and NO2 and it shows 0 for both.
aznchris

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 am   Re: Aquarium Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels

You should be fine if you stick to that routine.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:56 pm   Re: Aquarium Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels

Thank you! So far the numbers haven’t been climbing. Hope they go down after I do a partial water change this weekend
aznchris

Return to Habitat - Indoor