Habitat - Indoor :: Above Tank Basking Area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 am   Above Tank Basking Area

Hi everyone,

I am looking to build a basking area above the tank for my girl so she has more room. She currently has one that sits above the water but is still in the tank so I'd like to make one that is a little bit more comfortable for her.

I am also thinking about adding sand and rocks to her tank. I currently have safe play sand washed and ready to go in, but I need some recommendations for where I should look for rocks. I know that I'd be best getting smooth rocks so she cannot hurt herself.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where I should start? What materials are best for an above tank basking area? What can be used for stairs?

Thanks in advance!
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:27 am   Re: Above Tank Basking Area

What kind of tank dose she have now?

As for rocks, look for river rocks. They are very smooth and come in a variety of shapes and natural colors, just make sure you don't use the small ones (smaller than her head). Most craft stores should have some.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:03 pm   Re: Above Tank Basking Area

She is currently in a 60-gallon glass tank with a homemade basking area. But, that basking area sits into the tank and takes up room that she could be using for swimming!
victoria&mabel

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:24 pm   Re: Above Tank Basking Area

For a smaller tank, I think the Penn-Plax Reptology Turtle Topper would fit (if the tank is 13" wide). There are tons of ways to make one, but that mostly depends on a bit of skills and tools to make one.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor