Habitat - Indoor :: DIY Charcoal bags?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:37 am   DIY Charcoal bags?

Hello all, I was searching through this great forum and saw that somebody mentioned something about people filling their own bags of charcoal. Can you please share with me how exactly you do that? What type of bags should I look for? Where would I find bulk charcoal and what type? how often do you change it out? Any specific details would be appreciated! I have a Fluval FX5 for a 90 gallon aquarium. Thanks!
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:56 am   Re: DIY Charcoal bags?

So you're looking for aquarium media bags, which are just small mesh bags. They come in different sizes, and different ways to close them (zipper or draw string). The next would be your charcoal. I normally get Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon, though there are some unbranded versions that are even cheaper.

Just use a spoon or something to bag it, then rinse it until the water is clear, then you can put it into the filter. That's it! I change it out when I do a full cleaning, but honestly I think I need to do it more frequently... every 3-4 weeks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:42 am   Re: DIY Charcoal bags?

Hi Steve, thanks so much for the help! do you know if this will help clear out the swampy smell the tank has been getting? I’m needing to adjust my cleaning routine, but hoping this will help overall.
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:57 pm   Re: DIY Charcoal bags?

It should help, but partial changes should help more. After a couple of partial changes and it doesn't get better, then I would just to a complete change and filter cleaning. I would also check on your turtles poop... if it is a bit loose/messy, then you might need to adjust the diet first.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor