Habitat - Indoor :: API Sludge Destroyer FYI

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:43 am   API Sludge Destroyer FYI

I am taking care of my daughter's 5 year old male RES as she is in an apartment she can't have him in. I have zero experience with anything other than birds, cats, and dogs so this has been an experience, to say the least!

Cleaning his 55 gal tank (working on finding him a 100gal) is such a chore for my husband so I bought API Sludge Destroyer to help keep the water clean. We also bought more media for the Sun Sun Hw302 265gph canister filter we use. The Sludge Destroyer came in first so my husband put the initial amount in immediately. BIG mistake! We totally didn't think about the fact that the filter, which desperately needed the media changed, was going to pull the Sludge Destroyer through the filter too! Almost immediately the water became RANK and started to get black. The media is due today so we decided to just wait overnight... ugh. My apartment now smells like I had a sewage backup!

So, word to the wise: Change media (and water) before using Sludge Destroyer!!!

PS - is there anything I should do for the turtle since he was in the nastiness or is he good?
LaoiseM

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:09 pm   Re: API Sludge Destroyer FYI

I don't use Sludge Destroyer or any thing like it. it's usually not recommended. People like to use a product called Python to make for easy changes and refills. I only use 3 things for water changes. Clear tubing, a small power head (pump), and faucet adapter. Pump + hose to drain, Hose + faucet to fill. There are a bunch of little details in between, but should be relatively easy to do.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:13 am   Re: API Sludge Destroyer FYI

FWIW, we have been using sludge destroyer in both our 125g & 40g and it has worked well. Of course, we use a Python to do at least a 40-75% water change weekly and vacuum the tank. We use Eheim 2217 filters and clean the media quarterly. So far, our tanks have been in good shape (knock on wood).
Longhorn

Return to Habitat - Indoor