Habitat - Indoor :: Sludgy water, adcice?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 pm   Sludgy water, adcice?

Hello everyone! So I rescued a RES about 2 months ago - someone threw her out the window above my office! People are horrible. Her shell was cracked but not broken. I was online learning about turtles the minute I got home with her. There's absolutely no reason for people to be disposing of pets or not knowing how to care for them. Kept her in my tub at first. Now in 40 gallon tank (need a bigger one, she's about 6 inches) filled 2/3. Seachem Prime (I have fish in a 20g). Since then I've spent a few hundred on her, and still buying stuff! Just ordered another filter! First one (Penn Plax 610 corner filter) isn't strong enough. It's slowed to a trickle, clogs up with sludge very quickly. I just got a Tetra Whisper EX Silent Multi-Stage Power Filter - its huge! And I'd have to fill the tank all the way to use it. So now I just ordered the Tetra 25905 Decorative Reptile Filter. Should have it tomoro. Anyway this tank turns cloudy green and smelly within 2 days. I'm constantly changing buckets of water. She seems happy? But I'm not! BTW she is also named Crush! I just saw another one (Krush) Another Nemo fan?
Jade056

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 am   Re: Sludgy water, adcice?

Welcome to the forum! Glad you rescued her. How is her injury doing? Canister filters are the best choice for turtles. They can be expensive, but are customizable and should last years. How much water is in that 40 gallon?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 pm   Re: Sludgy water, advice?

Hi! Her shell has been fine for a while now, and she's active, eats well... Probably too much. I have a bad habit of "spoiling"my pets. Which isn't healthy for them, I'm doing better at it! I put in the newest filter yesterday, the tank is about half full, so 20 gallons? 22, 23... It was dirty this morning. Of course I'm starting over with everything new, theres no time for "beneficial bacteria" in this tank. I change water every day. Filter pads get blocked with sludge. I may have to run the new filter with the first one, that I just took out. (The second one is still in the box - the fill-up-the-tank one) I'm wasting money already, I need to wait before I try something else! But anything I can do in the meantime? Do those waste removers work? I bought Fluker's but I don't see any difference...
Jade056

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am   Re: Sludgy water, adcice?

Are the filters agitating the water surface? None of the filters you have can really handle the needs of a turtle. I would return whatever you can. Also, not having a lot of water does not help the filter because there will still be waste in there. Having more water and the right filter allows for some beneficial bacteria to grow which helps break down waste. Some of those waste removers do work, but I rather not add that sort of stuff into my tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 pm   Re: Sludgy water, adcice?

hello, sorry so long! I hooked up 2 of the filters and wow what a difference! The water is so clear now! I have no idea if the waste remover by Flukers actually makes a difference or not... But the doubling up on filters does.
so now what I'm wondering about is, why doesn't she use the basking area? Now that I got the filtration "solved" (we're never satisfied! Always a work in progress...) I have been also working on the ramp and platform setup since day one. I've bought stuff already made (e.g. turtle topper - once again, a product that requires a full tank); Caves are way too small; homemade stuff seems like a good idea but I have no idea how to put it together... I have something somewhat workable now but she does not use it! (Can I post pics on here? How?) She's very active and eats well but does not bask under the lamp! She only sleeps under the ramp!
Jade056

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 pm   Re: Sludgy water, adcice?

The reason I haven't filled the tank all the way is I'm worried about the weight on the bench underneath. I push it to 3/4 full tho. Got a nice pump for sucking stuff out... So glad I only have to change water every 4 or 5 days now. It still LOOKED ok, but I didn't wanna push it too long...
Jade056

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 pm   Re: Sludgy water, adcice?

For linked images, just add the image [img]...[/img] tags around the direct link to image. You can also click on full editor and select "Upload attachment". The basking area needs a light and to warmed up by roughly 10 degrees F. As for the weight on the bench, you need to sort that out first.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor