Habitat - Indoor :: Proper wattage for basking setup

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:48 am   Proper wattage for basking setup

I have a 20 gal tank 3/4 filled. I'm not using the heater right now because its not needed in the summer. Her water is at temp 77-80 right now and
I worry about the H2O over heating as well as my turtle with wattage that is too high. Her lamp is about 9-12 inches from the basking area. Any suggestions? :idea: :?:
turteywordy

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:46 am   

we were looking to get a aquarium water chiller, but the cheapest one we could find (outside of Ebay) is almost $400. Some people suggested putting the filter in a styrofoam cooler with ice surrounding it...
link to our topic.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=379

hope that helps!!
=o) Jared & Kelli
JnK Acopan

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:32 am   Indoors

Why are you guys guessing and worrying about temps. A cheap metal thermometer that pet stores sell will tell you all you need to know. A couple of ice cubes in the filter will drop the H2o temp and 90 degrees on top of the basking platform is easy to maintain. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:59 pm   

My question was in reference to the bulb wattage as I would not want my turtle to get over toasted. That was my main concern. My regular pet store basking bulb had gone out and I was hoping that I could pop in a regular household bulb w/out roasting her. But it just may be that this question was way too complicated and lame. :roll: (Jenearo, where are you?)
turteywordy

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:12 pm   

try a regular 50 watt bulb and check the temp after it heats up (about an hour) up it if necessary. What's the current basking temp? Do you have a uvb bulb also?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:01 pm   

Don't just go by the wattage--go by what bulb it takes to get the basking area 88-90F. Get a thermometer and check the temp (the only way to really be sure). Or, if you can, raise the basking area/lower the distance between the bulb and basking area to get in the temp range. A regular lightbulb is fine for the heat, along with a UVB light.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:02 pm   

50 watts, thank you so much. And yes I do have both uvb and uva bulbs. :wink: 8)
turteywordy

Return to Habitat - Indoor