Habitat - Indoor :: Spiderturtle??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:25 pm   Spiderturtle??

Hi there, I am new here and my little one is called Antara. I recently built her an above tank basking area with 2 metal mesh sides, framed with wood. I left the top open for better lighting and access but built it around 7 inches high. She is about 3 inches.

Anyways, found her today doing the most, having climbed up the mesh side and about to jump out!

How the hell did she do that? Is this normal?

(Btw she didn’t even use the rocks, found her at the ramp side on the corner closest to me.)
Attachments
9EB90E2A-7C2A-4104-8E73-AD5401894D06.jpeg
D75E3FEF-1012-407E-88D8-3476308B2B78.jpeg
Noonz

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:18 pm   Re: Spiderturtle??

Welcome to the forum! Yes, RES are excellent diggers and climbers. Most of the time, people use window screens and the turtles easily climb it. If it continues to be a problem, something like clear acrylic can be used to prevent climbing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:33 pm   Re: Spiderturtle??

You may not be there next time from getting out all the way and falling to the floor. If she hits on a bad angle will damage the shell or worst.
Any of that mess still , just close the top in completely with it . Keeps you from building all over again with the acrylic. That wide of mess will not block any of the UVB rays.

Welcome to the forum for you and Antara.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:50 am   Re: Spiderturtle??

Thanks guys for the tips and help. Had no idea they could carry that big shell up and climb vertically! So funny. Honestly she amazes me everyday with her character.

I have added thick plastic to the sides which has deterred her for now, and will add a mesh top diagonally I think to keep a bit of an opening so I can still reach in when I need to. Since that whole too area is all attached to the base.
Noonz

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:39 am   Re: Spiderturtle??

litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor