Habitat - Indoor :: Turtle Tank Size Help?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:12 pm   Turtle Tank Size Help?

Hello! I’m new to this forum but I’ve had my RES, Kiwi for about 3 years now (I’ve already lost count, haha)

I was thinking of upgrading his tank size because the area I keep his current tank on still has a lot of space to be filled and it would be a good upgrade, but I wasn’t too sure how to go about making a jump from a decently sized tank to a massive one.

I currently have a 40 gallon breeder tank but I’ve been thinking about eventually going up to a 100+ gallon tank when I have the money on hand. My main concern other than the pricing is the width; will the tank width still be suitable for my turtle to swim around after it’s fully grown?
Over here the breeder tanks stop at around 40 gallons as far as I’ve seen, so the width for most larger tanks is around 18 or 24 inches depending on where I buy it. I would’ve opted for the 24, but the area I keep the tank on is only about 18.5 inches in width, although I just miight be able to work with that. I was just hoping to get some insight or even recommendations from anyone who has a tank around that size :D

Details on Kiwi; 3 years old, male, and his shell’s about 5 inches in width and 6 in length.
He was a little small while growing, but I’m sure he’ll reach the full size at some point.

I’m also not planning on keeping any other turtles just yet but that may change depending on if I’m able to take care of multiple together in the future.
plpnt

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:56 pm   Re: Turtle Tank Size Help?

I have my male RES in a 90 gallon and I think it's a good size. I would like It to be wider than deeper, but you're not going to find that with standard (and more reasonably priced) tanks.

You might want to look at this route, called "frag tanks" -- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15260&start=1200

They are more expensive and usually come in acrylic, but it's something to consider.... I've been thinking long and hard about getting one that is really long so I can divide it up for two turtles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:18 pm   Re: Turtle Tank Size Help?

Thank you for the suggestion! And woah, that’s a wonderful tank setup there!
I’ll have to do some research on those to see if I’ll be able to get one, but it seems like a good idea to try. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of frag tanks before, though after a few minutes of searching, they seem quite good.

I suppose the only drawback for me would be that I would have to move where I place the tank (it’s on a large ledge between the living and dining room) because the dimensions might be too wide for the area.
plpnt

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:14 am   Re: Turtle Tank Size Help?

Would a 90 gallon fit? It's still a pretty good size for a single male RES.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor