Habitat - Indoor :: Having major water issues. Help please!!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 pm   Having major water issues. Help please!!

Hi everybody!
I will go ahead and explain my setup and then the problem.

I've had two females for about 13 years. My current setup is a 125 gallon tank with a custom hanging basking pad. There is no gravel or substrate. The only thing in the aquarium is a smallish piece of driftwood. For filtration I have not one but two Fluval fx5 canister filters. In addition to that I also have a Coralife UV filter on the output of one of the Fluvals. I have had this setup for some time now.

For about the past 6 weeks to two months I have had non-stop issues with an intense odor and cloudy water. All the hoses coming from the filtration are clean and clear. The UV bulb is also new. The filters have been cleaned within the past 2 weeks.

For filter media, I use fluval biomax in filter 1 and filter 2, and zero carb in filter 1(along with the uv light), and charcoal in filter 2.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated. It's become an incredible amount of stress in my household.

Thank you in advance.
Mike
thedeadmeat13

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:24 am   Re: Having major water issues. Help please!!

Could something in their diet have caused the increase in foulness? What about water changes?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:46 am   Re: Having major water issues. Help please!!

Their diet is the same Zoo Med's Turtle Chow I've been feeding them for the past 13 years. I do a partial water change one a week also. For example on this mystery the tank was clear and fine all this week and then my wife fed them yesterday and now the water is cloudy and reeks of sulfur.
thedeadmeat13

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:45 pm   Re: Having major water issues. Help please!!

It could be a bacteria bloom. How is your filter cleaning routine? Do you alternate? I would consider doing a complete cleaning and maybe just rinse out the bio media.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor