Habitat - Indoor :: Quiet Basking Area Floor Material???

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:20 am   Quiet Basking Area Floor Material???

Hey folks, Haven't posted on here in many moons and forgive me if this question is repeated elsewhere in the forum (I couldn't find it). Curious if anyone has any recommendations for a quieter basking area floor for big Matilda? RIght now she's on a large piece of slate tile and the sound she makes with her nails is equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm wondering if there's a type of hard foam or rubberized material that's nontoxic, durable, and gives her decent traction. Her basking area is 18" x 18" and this material would need to lay on plexiglass.
Thanks!
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 pm   Re: Quiet Basking Area Floor Material???

What about some cork or reptile carpeting?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:39 pm   Re: Quiet Basking Area Floor Material???

I have had good luck with high end artificial turf. Make sure it's advertised as pet friendly, and then when you cut it, use either a small torch or other hot item to melt down the corners (my guys will pull that stuff up and eat it like 3 cycles until I grab it). But once that is done, they've like it just fine, plenty soft and easy to wash.
ekuyper

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:14 pm   Re: Quiet Basking Area Floor Material???

Thanks for these tips. I decided to go with the Zilla reptile carpeting. For now I have it clipped on 4 corners, but I'm worried she will try pulling up the edges like you said ekuyper. Could you give more detail on what you mean by "melt down the corners"? I'm looking for a way to keep the edges down AND have it be removable for cleaning. Any further ideas would be appreciated! Matilda seems to like it so far :D.

Thanks!
matildatheturtle

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:54 am   Re: Quiet Basking Area Floor Material???

Sounds like you apply a small amount of flame, like from a stove lighter to melt the edges and prevent it from fraying.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor