Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval 306 problems

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Perhaps sending them pictures would help them come up with a solution, if the solution they came up with doesn't solve it.
rambologic

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 pm   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a new 306. I figure I can possibly use both when I upgrade tanks, if I can get the first one to stop leaking. Otherwise I'll just have spare parts :-/
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:19 am   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Nice. Not a bad thing to have lots of filtration :)

I just purchased a a Sun Sun 302 filter for my fish tank. Lubricated all joints to help create a water tight seal, as they are known to have issues with leaking. So far so good after 1 day.. time will tell.
rambologic

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Cool. I was thinking if I purchase something else new in the future I might go with Eheim. They seem to have higher quality parts maybe.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 am   Re: Fluval 306 problems

From what I've heard Eheim used to be one of the top notch companies with their products and services, but lately their products have been having some quality control issues. Read across some forums and Amazon reviews.

I have a Penn Plax Cascade filter as well, pretty good filter. They all work and look the same anyways. I think as long as the flow is good enough, and they hold enough media, you'll be ok.
rambologic

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 am   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Could it be just some of their lower end products? Of course if they started to outsource more of their equipment, it can have a very negative impact on quality (like Filstar).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:53 am   Re: Fluval 306 problems

May be the case. Seems like a lot of people do have good luck with the higher end canisters.
rambologic

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 am   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Well, after months, I have solved this problem! Thanks to this wonderful video of a tear down / put back together of a 306!

https://youtu.be/BjqPuwMb7nc

(this video is made by a turtle owner. Is he on our forum?)

I realized that I was actually basically right- the white cover part of the filter was warped, so it wasn't sitting correctly and snapping into the impeller cover. After doing a complete tear down and putting it back together, I realized that all I need to do is pry up a little bit on the white cover each time I put the impeller cover back. This way, I can get it to snap into place.

Note that I'm talking about the problem of the impeller cap not staying on. The leak was fixed earlier by replacing the quick stop valve (after having also replaced the gasket). Any rattling I had was mainly due to overstuffing the filter baskets, I think.

Finally seems to not be doing anything annoying anymore :D
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Cool video. Surprised the shaft looks plastic... on my XPs they are metal. Also surprised how the white piece warped, it seems solid enough. Congrats on a job well done!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 pm   Re: Fluval 306 problems

The impeller shaft? It's ceramic. Although I think you can also buy plastic replacements.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm   Re: Fluval 306 problems

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I wonder why they chose to use that material.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor