Habitat - Indoor :: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my turtle

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

litefoot wrote:Wasn't a good idea trying to build on a glass tank. Take good measurements and build on a table you then can dry fit it on top of tank when good fit then glue it up. Haven't done too many DIY projects before , I understand.

Don't take this wrong ...if not good with DIY project's ask your dad or someone to help you. Any type of work safety first !!!

Look for used tanks or stock tanks may be better for you.

If you were able and good with DIY projects ... Me /I would get a piece of glass cut to correct size double pane not single pane and remove broken piece glue correctly let dry a few days and all good. But that's me... you may have to get someone else to do it for you ? That's your call.

I'm usually not bad at DIY projects, but I didn't think this one through. Going to buy him a new one tomorrow. Gonna see if I can go up in size at all, since I gotta get him a new one anyway.
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

My turtle just ate my fish... RIP. Can't say I didn't see it coming.
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:23 am   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

Mom and Pop stores will work with you more than a chain type store. Ask if any old tanks from remodels or used. If so check them good around seams.

When you redid the tank I was going to tell you get rid of that fish , feeding in tank only adds to it being dirty and one day anyway would be turtle food ! The turtle would be getting most of it's food anyway having you add more food so fish could eat dirtying the tank more. .
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:18 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

litefoot wrote:Mom and Pop stores will work with you more than a chain type store. Ask if any old tanks from remodels or used. If so check them good around seams.

When you redid the tank I was going to tell you get rid of that fish , feeding in tank only adds to it being dirty and one day anyway would be turtle food ! The turtle would be getting most of it's food anyway having you add more food so fish could eat dirtying the tank more. .

http://i.imgur.com/U807QuA.jpg

I forgot to post this picture of his shell.
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:29 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

Wow , this picture must be when totally dry looks like a different turtle. This is why I keep a pristine tank ! Prevention is key to all !

Do you live in the Midwest where water is hard ?

Turtles are prone to bacterial scoring of scutes in captivity which is often misdiagnose as mineral deposits. Scoring of the dead material will only disappear when scutes are eventually shed. The marginal scutes are lifting now (shedding) . Yes it's unsightly but nothing a good shed can't fix. Alone with proper diet and good maintenance ! Give it a much better habitat will help prevent it.
Good read here : http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebinde ... arrelB.htm
And if hard water we can do something about that.
If its actually mineral deposits then "white vinegar wash" with soft toothbrush should remove it completely the first go around. As I said , good maintenance is a prevention to lots of problems alone with good diet.
Chances are you have a little of both going on , I would do a white vinegar wash , fix that green tank , and offer good diet. After a shed shell normally looks better if those other problems are corrected.

Myself , I don't see this in my turtles because I offer as stated Pristine living conditions , prevention is key ! I have been very lucky ! In years if observant you will be able to see problems start before they that hold and correct before you have something worst.
I'm also not a vet but this is my "opinion" from what others had problems with over my 50 years in hobby.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:39 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

How big is the tank you have for him? His diet is really important now, make sure he is not overfed and he has a varied diet. His shell will look a lot better after a shed or two.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:11 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

litefoot wrote:Wow , this picture must be when totally dry looks like a different turtle. This is why I keep a pristine tank ! Prevention is key to all !

Do you live in the Midwest where water is hard ?

Turtles are prone to bacterial scoring of scutes in captivity which is often misdiagnose as mineral deposits. Scoring of the dead material will only disappear when scutes are eventually shed. The marginal scutes are lifting now (shedding) . Yes it's unsightly but nothing a good shed can't fix. Alone with proper diet and good maintenance ! Give it a much better habitat will help prevent it.
Good read here : http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebinde ... arrelB.htm
And if hard water we can do something about that.
If its actually mineral deposits then "white vinegar wash" with soft toothbrush should remove it completely the first go around. As I said , good maintenance is a prevention to lots of problems alone with good diet.
Chances are you have a little of both going on , I would do a white vinegar wash , fix that green tank , and offer good diet. After a shed shell normally looks better if those other problems are corrected.

Myself , I don't see this in my turtles because I offer as stated Pristine living conditions , prevention is key ! I have been very lucky ! In years if observant you will be able to see problems start before they that hold and correct before you have something worst.
I'm also not a vet but this is my "opinion" from what others had problems with over my 50 years in hobby.

Sorry for the lack of updates. This past week has been crazy. I have built him this, http://imgur.com/V4g3NyH. I spent 5 days building this and he refused to get onto the platform. He will get to the top of the ramp and will just sit there until he slides off. I've picked him up and placed him on the platform, but he just freaks out and jumps off. I've placed dried red shrimp up there which he goes crazy over , but even that hasn't enticed him enough to get up there. What should I do? I want him to get dry.
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

Sometimes it takes time to adjust, sometimes they never take to it (especially if it's not natural looking). This is for the 20 gallon tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:41 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

steve wrote:Sometimes it takes time to adjust, sometimes they never take to it (especially if it's not natural looking). This is for the 20 gallon tank?

Yes it is for the 20 gallons
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:30 am   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

Give him some time , will adjust. You could help by getting the temp's and lighting correct to entice him. Something to make it more natural will help to as Steve said. That front corner can he squeeze out and escape there long way to floor ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

litefoot wrote:Give him some time , will adjust. You could help by getting the temp's and lighting correct to entice him. Something to make it more natural will help to as Steve said. That front corner can he squeeze out and escape there long way to floor ?

What can I use to make it look more natural?

And no, it's too small for him to get through. I made sure of it. I have another problem. He's refusing to eat his floating sticks. When he was younger he would eat them, but now he's refusing. I've been feeding him red leaf lettuce as a substitute, so he doesn't die. Any idea on how to get him to eat or what to eat?
Phikicheli

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 pm   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

Sometimes it requires different materials. He doesn't mind the lettuce? What kind of pellets are you using?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:58 am   Re: Making sure I have the best indoor enviorment for my tur

How about putting a rock on it , turtles like to be high up , they love to climb on anything. Since area is small what about tie a plastic plant on the sides or hang from top. Cut some pictures out a magazine tape to outside of basking area , put it on the left and back sides , will make him feel a little more comfortable. Like woods or lake pictures ? When I was little I go in yard and find all kind of free things to use.

When I changed Piggley's basking area he would not use it until I put a plastic tree / plant on it. All it took , just place it kind of to the side of main heat area so not to block to much light.
Attachments
IMG_20170713_084248903.jpg
litefoot

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor