Habitat - Indoor :: Night lighting

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:37 am   Night lighting

Quick back story, found my red ear slider in a backyard with a hook stuck in his throat. Brought him to a wildlife sanctuary and they said since he wasn't native they couldn't re re lease him back into the wild so now he lives with me. His name is Frodo because he is missing one of his fingers. But now for the reason for my post. Since he's in my room with me in a 75 gallon tank I have an air conditioner running in the summer and have a night heat lamp running in a basking area and that is where I usually find him at night after I go to bed. Unfortunately it seems like the heat lights they make for night time use burn out after only a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and found a bulb that lasts a long time. I've tried every type of bulb and wattage in can find in stock at my local petco. the bulbs I use for daytime use and basking last for months and much longer I've only had to replace one of the 3 bulbs I use for daytime lighting since I've set up the tank a year ago. I've gone through 4 nighttime bulbs in the last year since I've gotten Frodo.
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:38 am   Re: Night lighting

You don't need a night time bulb or a heat emitter. Frodo should be basking during the day (to dry off and pick up some nice UVB rays). RES, like us, are diurnal and want darkness to rest and sleep. If it gets too cold, you can use a submersible water heater for him.

Congrats on the rescue!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:20 am   Re: Night lighting

Well I have a water heater but I threw a uv bulb in just because I like to get my room really cold at night with my air conditioner to sleep. Based on what I saw with thermometers it kept the air temperature around the tank warm. Just curious if anyone else uses a night uv bulb. I'm not really worried about it because i kayak at some reservoirs and lakes around where i live in new jersey and see plenty of red ear sliders where I go assuming they have been released by unknowing pet owners and they are pretty large so I'm guessing they survive the winters here. Just trying to keep him warm and happy because his natural habitat is from the south.
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 am   Re: Night lighting

What are the temp readings you're getting? There's no night uv bulb that I am aware of.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 am   Re: Night lighting

Turtles like "all" lights off at night to sleep even heat basking bulb. . Keep it a day / night cycle. If Frodo got to cool he will go in the water to sleep where it has that water heater.
A fixture with a good ceramic socket will help .
Good rescue !
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor