Habitat - Indoor :: Overall help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:48 pm   Re: Overall help

Here are the Selected Conditions (I tried to clean it up best I could from my copy/paste thing), took a bit because I had to try to edit a .pdf file so sorry for any errors. Hope this aids anyone else who might be needing to bring a turtle from the US into Canada. Quite an easy process for the permit, a one time entry permit is $35. The fee can only be paid by a valid credit card (NOT A PRE-PAID), money order or check. It took about 5 days to get the permit, communication with the Agency is great. (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578)

For anyone needing to do this, I would strongly suggest to call a local office (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/offices/eng/1300462382369/1300462438912) to have them do a check to ensure the species is not on the endangered list prior to applying for the permit. Took me one phone call, gave details of my RES and they called me back within an hour to confirm the RES is not on the list in Canada or the US.

I find most of the "Selected Conditions" are to ensure safe and humane transport of the pet being transported. I will update AFTER I cross the border at the Peace Bridge (Buffalo, NY into Fort Erie, Ontario Canada) and let you all know how it went, smooth or if I get yanked over for a secondary inspection and so on. The CFIA told me just show the permit and I should be able to go but we will see what happens.

Selected Conditions / Conditions Choisies (French)
ONE (1) TURTLE FOR PERSONAL USE

1. Pet animals or birds being presented for personal importation must be accompanied by the owner/ importer from the country of origin to Canada.

2. One original or a copy of this pennit and any other necessary export documentation pertaining to the shipment must be provided for inspection at the first port of entry.

3. The conditions in this permit can only be changed or amended by a CFIA inspector. Any change to the permit by an unauthorized person will render the permit invalid.

4. The animal(s) described on this permit must be shipped by the most direct and appropriate route from the point of export to the address of destination in Canada. Transshipment through another country requires written authorization from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Certification/lnspection Requirements:
I) Written approval for routing of the shipment of animals through another country must be attached to the permit and accompany the shipment. With the exception of changing planes, animals must not be offloaded at any port of call en mute.

5. The animal(s) must be certified to be fit to be transported without undue suffering by reason of infimity, illness, injury, fatigue or other cause during the expected journey. They may be ordered removed from Canada if the manner of shipping is found to be in contravention of transport regulations under the Health of Animals Regulations.

I) The animal(s) must be accompanied by a declaration by the certi&ing veterinarian or shipper in the country of origin stating: When transport is by air, transportation of the animal(s) is in accordance with the Intemational Air Transport Association (IATA) Live Animal Regulations, approved by the Office International des Epizooties (OIE). For all forms of transport, suitable arrangements have been made for the feeding, watering and care of the animal(s) during transportation, as far as can be determined. Where applicable, the shipment must not include animals that will probably give birth during transportation. Young animals being shipped without their dam have been fully weaned prior to export.

6. Documentation for importation must be presented to a federal inspector at the first point of entry. The shipment of animal(s) or thing(s) must be presented to an inspector designated under the Health of Animals Act at the first point of entry.
Any necessary import / export documentation pertaining to the shipment of animal(s) or thing(s) as well as the original or a copy of the signed original of this pemit must be provided for inspection at the first port of entry.

7. All conveyances (vehicles, containers, or other things) used to transport the qualifing animal(s) or thing(s) from the premises of origin until arrival at the Canadian port of entry must have been cleaned and disinfected in a manner satisfactory to an inspector designated under the Health of Animals Act. All litter and surplus feed must be disposed of by incineration or a manner satisfactory to a inspector designated under the Health of Animals Act.

8. The animal(s) or thing(s) imported under this pennit are for use only by the importer. lhey are not to be sold, distributed or used for other commercial purposes.

9. The imported animals, all subsequent progeny and any tissues of these animals, other than those in final histological preparations, must NEVER be removed from the premises ofdestination listed on this permit without the written authorization of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

10. The importer is responsible for all costs incurred or associated with any testing or treatment of the animal(s) or thing(s) that may be required under the import permit or under the authority of the Health of Animals Act or the Health of Animals Regulations. The importer shall pay all fees for services required in respect of the importation under the National Animal Health Program Cost Recovery Fees Regulations in place at the time of importation.

I I . Consideration of an application necessary for issuance of a permit to import the described animal or thing is subject to Class I fees.

12. Failure to comply with the conditions contained in this permit or with the provisions of the Health of Animals Act and Regulations may result in the cancellation of this permit and will result in the forfeiture to the Crown of the animal(s) or thing(s) imported or in the removal of the animal(s) or thing(s) from Canada, all without compensation to, and at the expense of the importer. No person shall import any animal(s) or thing(s) into Canada from any country unless the animal(s) or thing(s) meet the conditions that are shown on the export certificate issued by the exporting country. The importer(s) are responsible for the animal(s) or thing(s) imported, their health, fitness, soundness, freedom from disease, active or latent and genetic or other defects. Where the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) carries out tests and takes precautions when animal(s) or thing(s) are imported into Canada to reduce the risk of the introduction and spread of disease in Canada, such tests and precautions do not constitute and are not a warranty, guarantee, assurance, undertaking or anything similar that the animals imported are healthy, fit, sound, free from disease, active or latent or genetic or other defects and such tests and precautions do not relieve or lessen the importer's responsibility as set out above. The importer, his heirs, executors, successors and assigns release and discharges Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada and the CFIA of and from all claims and demands, damages, actions or causes of action arising or to arise by reason of the importation of the animals and agrees to indemnify and save harmless Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada and the CFIA from and against all actions, damages, claims and demands which may be brought in respect of or arising out of the importation of such animal(s) or thing(s), their health, fitness, soundness, freedom or otherwise from disease, active or latent, genetic or other defects.

13. The issuance of this permit does not relieve the owner or the importer of the obligation to comply with any other relevant federal, provincial/ten-itorial or municipal legislation or requirement.

14. The terms used in the accompanying export documentation must be consistent with definitions under the Health of Animals Act and Regulations.
I) "Animal" includes birds, bees, hatching eggs, embryos and fertilized ova / eggs.
Last edited by Rylanda on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:05 pm   Re: Overall help

This is a great help, thank you!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm   Re: Overall help

The travel across the border (US to Canada) was a breeze. The border guard looked over the 3 page permit, didn't want to look at Link at all, said all papers are in order and have a nice day. No further questions asked about Link, nothing. I was in a panic and it was all for nothing.

Link is in her "old" tank for the moment. Getting a lovely spot for her new larger tank, I'm getting new media and pads for the bigger filter and some other items. Going to get a 125 gallon tank by Christmas (I'm told sooner if I can find one on the buy/sell sites that won't break the bank). We are going to invest in a much better filter (on the advice of Litefoot) and will either have a clear bottom or like river stones although I'm fairly fond of a clear bottom, better to see any icky.

Link weathered the trip well, slept some (I like to think) and then was trying to look around through her little container (with air holes for breathing of course). I did put in a damp cloth just so she didn't get to "dry" but once her tank was set up (very first thing I did when I arrived), put Link in she was swimming around, begging for food and basking - as if nothing changed!! Link has 3 sisters and 1 brother (DOGS) who haven't even given her the time of day, they can't reach her anyhow. She has a lovely spot in a corner part of the room where if she peeks out the side of her tank and the curtains are open she can see outside (No sun of course).

I will post photos when I get everything set up to best I can. Thanks for all the advice and I'm sure I'll have loads more questions down the road as I try to learn the best things to do so it's how "Link" likes it.

Cheers!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 pm   Re: Overall help

We want to know about any new games you and Link create to !

Observe well and Link will tell you a lot !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am   Re: Overall help

Link comes right to my hand when I'm feeding now, I don't move quickly so as not to scare her but that's a good step. I've been watching your video's Litefoot on things you put in for Piggley and it's given me some ideas for Link. I like that underwater cave idea you have so I may get some things and see if Link likes it too.

I will say, I never planned on being a turtle Mom and was sort of thrown into this but I'm truly enjoying it now. I think Link is in turtle heaven finally having a proper home and proper UVA and UVB lighting, food variety, enough water to swim in (compared to the 2 inches she had before), proper quality water and water temperature (she seems to like it a bit cooler than what I've read it should be). She's in "love" with her basking area and just seems to be happier. Other than her skin shedding she's happy! I've triple checked the water quality with a proper testing kit and made sure the basking area isn't too hot so I hope it's just her adjusting to proper turtle life?

Plus she likes her new home a lot!
Rylanda

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm   Re: Overall help

That's Great !

Play with the materials on a table first to get several ideas on that cave, less commotion in tank for Link. Turtles like to turn around in caves so make it big enough Link doesn't get trapped ! Once you have final idea look at it "is it safe" Anything can fall and pin Link down. Remember turtles love to investigate , could Link take it apart? Any concerns I would use some aquarium silicone sealant to hold it together.

You are finding out it's all worth it !
litefoot

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor