Habitat - Indoor :: First time Python user - Sand as substrate - HELP..?..

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:45 pm   First time Python user - Sand as substrate - HELP..?..

Just got my python water change/gravel cleaning system, and first of all, IT ROCKS. Why in the heck I've been doing this with buckets is beyond me..... But questions.

Should I actually be stirring the sand up in the tube or just lightly vacuuming across the top of it? I ask because I found it pretty hard to pull sand up into the big tube without pulling it all the way through the system (and down the drain) - it took a lot of valve management and was generally pretty hard to do where I actually pulled any crap out of the tank without getting sand too.
Jeff
3 RES - 75 gal
My habitat progression: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38727
rctoyguy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:05 pm   Re: First time Python user - Sand as substrate - HELP..?..

What kind of sand are you using? I think most people just lightly vacuum across the top.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 pm   Re: First time Python user - Sand as substrate - HELP..?..

It's play sand - about $4 per bag at Wal-Mart. I really like the look of it.
Jeff
3 RES - 75 gal
My habitat progression: http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38727
rctoyguy

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:08 pm   Re: First time Python user - Sand as substrate - HELP..?..

I'm also in the lightly vacuum across the top camp because my turtle agitates the sand on the bottom as he moves around.
Only if there's a spot of black or brown algae would I want to really dig into the sand and stir it up into the python tube when cleaning.
VeipaCray

Return to Habitat - Indoor