Habitat - Indoor :: Biohome users

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:57 pm   Re: Biohome users

I'm willing to try anything to find the "easiest" way to mantain my water. Any recommendations on chlorine water test kits or how would you check the levels. Last time my city reported on water quality was 2015 :/
MrMikeSam

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:16 pm   Re: Biohome users

Chlorine kits vary in price so much it's your call. All I can say is stay away from those test strips !!! And city water out tap ...consistency ...not there !
Will say the API master kit is good for regular testing but has NO chlorine test.
I use carbon no problems in that area !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 am   Re: Biohome users

I used 2 bags of carbon for a 1' long piece of 2" pvc pipe for my funnel. I can honestly say the flow rate was near 60 gph. My hose is stiff so I may get a flexable hose to make it want to stay in place. It definitely takes time but if it means no chlorine with no chems, then I'm fine. I placed Raf in a plastic tub and let her chill while I was holding the hose in place.
MrMikeSam

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 am   Re: Biohome users

Chlorine generally isn't an issue in our water here in the US. Chloramine is. As mentioned earlier dip strips aren't very accurate for the ammonia and nitrite testing but they're pretty good for the chlorine / chloramine testing.

Not sure where you live but by me most of the big hardware store chains will have free water test strips near where they sell RO units. There's usually a carboard advert with some panicked looking person and the words "How safe is your water?" Those free strips have chlorine and chloramine tests because they want you to buy the RO system.
VeipaCray

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 pm   Re: Biohome users

Mike like you pvc idea , simple and works. Good one.

Veipa test units at my old job were $600 each. Not one for home use ! Good tip on free !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm   Re: Biohome users

Just finished doing another water change with the carbon a 4 days ago and I checked on the Nitrate level of the tank yesterday and it went down by more than half since putting it in. My levels were reading between 80 and 160mg/L, now it's down to 40mg/L. Granted it is still with the test strips, but hopefully I'm not just seeing it.
MrMikeSam

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor