Habitat - Indoor :: UPDATE :

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:17 am   UPDATE :

I was thinking of making an obstacle course basking area for Mickey. But now he's re homed at the Nature Center... well different turtle different plan. My new guy (no name yet) is totally different , likes to swim more than climb. Mickey was the acrobat. Have all this new cork so made basking area twice as big. Hopefully this new guy use's it. It has about six different temperature ranges from (80*-95*) so he can pick his own spot to dry and or warm up. New guy may never take to climbing as Mickey did. He's about 4-5 years old and loved Mickey's old 2' zoo med dock that was modified. Don't understand why some say those docks do not hold a large turtle , Mickey was a little over 9" and loved it. Held him well. Is it the cost people see and just buy a cheaper/ smaller one and hope/expect it to work ? Bottom line have 1st attempt on a larger dock , almost 1/3 size of the 150 gallon tub. Mickey would have loved it , more escape area for him.

This new guy lets me feed him by hand , well romaine leafs , crickets will come inch away but not take it . As soon let it go he attacks it. Took over a year before Mickey to take food by hand.

He hasn't told me his name yet... will not be Junior for Mickey's son ! Chopsley and Mickey's names are retired for all time.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 am   Re: UPDATE :

Beautiful turtle! A lot of the docks also didn't hold up over time and partially fell apart. Are you doing anything special to keep the cork in place?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 am   Re: UPDATE :

The cork is over 3" thick , only for now wedged in place by each other and some driftwood. Solid for a 4-5" turtle , adult would need another idea.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor