Habitat - Indoor :: My surprising experience with fish

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:42 pm   My surprising experience with fish

So, I moved up from a 55 gallon to a 150 gallonthis summer. Tobie has loved the space, and I've loved watching her.

She's had black neon tetras in the tank with her and let them alone since she started in a not completely cycled 20 gallon over four years ago. I had tried some neon tetras years ago in the 55 gallon along with the black neons. Those lasted fine for a few weeks, then started to disappear each night.

So, with the 150 gallon, I figured I had more space and wanted to try more fish. I bumped the three black neons up to nine and added some zebra danios, black mollies and more neon tetras. Only the neons were a mistake. They started disappearing again and stabilized at just three.

However, Tobie has left everyone else alone. It's amazing. When Tobie gets fed, the zebras go for the turtle sticks. Tobie will actually avoid going for one if there is a fish there. The fish steer clear of Tobie when she is on the move, but aren't actively scared. They'll even swim right in front of her when she's resting.

I have no idea if I just have a very passive turtle, or if growing up with fish since she was small means they aren't prey. If there's a shrimp in the tank, she's definitely on the prowl.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 am   Re: My surprising experience with fish

Do you think it may be due to their color? Or are they more easily caught off guard. I've always kind of suspected that some fish don't adjust well and are more vulnerable... survival of the fittest at work.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:41 pm   Re: My surprising experience with fish

I have 9 teeters in my 40 breeder, with a bunch of shrimp, and a lobster. I had a crayfish in there for almost a year, until I introduced the lobster. that crayfish didn't last 24hrs with the lobster. I initially added two gold fish. one was a snack, and I had to get rid of the other one, it was way too big, and getting aggressive with my YBS. haha. I'll dump a dozen ghost shrimp in every other week or so, they slowly disappear. it seems that my YBS is way more tolerant of the of the fish than I expected.
NYstyle

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 pm   Re: My surprising experience with fish

OH, i forgot the bristle nosed pleco and two cory cats..
NYstyle

Return to Habitat - Indoor