Habitat - Indoor :: Tank is always cloudy?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:54 pm   Tank is always cloudy?

Hello! My name is Jaclyn, and I'm a new RES turtle owner of about 2 months, and I need help with a perpetually cloudy tank. I feel like I've tried everything that I can think of to clear up his tank, and nothing has worked.

He lives in a 40 gallon tank with a Cascade 610 internal filter that says it's fine for up to 50 gallons. The tank is full to about 3.5 inches high (he's only 2 inches even though he's 3 years old--my sister didn't take good care of him and I got him about 2 months ago). I have a heat lamp, a UVA/UVB lamp, a basking area, rocks, and I recently put in an internal heater because I noticed the water temp would get below 75 degrees F.

I do weekly water changes of about 25% of the water and yesterday I changed 50% of the water hoping that would help with the cloudiness. I also scoop out waste almost everyday. I also changed the sponge and the charcoal from the filter yesterday and cleaned the filter out hoping that would help with the cloudiness. It didn't. I also use Fluker's Eco Clean Natural Waste Remover and AquaSafe drops in his tank to make the water safe.

I noticed that even though the filter is strong, it doesn't circulate all the way to the other side of the tank (if I put food in the water, it obviously will circulate to the filter but it doesn't look like the water is moving at all at first glance). Should I get a second smaller filter to help circulate the water better? The only reservation I have with that is that my little buddy is so small I don't want the current to be too strong for him to swim.

I'm willing to spend money as needed to make sure he has a good life.
Thanks!!
(I also included pics as files)
Attachments
17F17D9A-0B91-445E-9E10-43FBBD74E53B copy.jpg
His whole tank
9C7A6DE4-4DD7-421D-B31A-F20E198C075D copy.jpg
This file is a pic of how cloudy his tank is, as well as how deep it is
littlebuddy304

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 am   Re: Tank is always cloudy?

There's only so much filtration a small amount of water can go through. More water requires less frequent changes and you can stop with the chemicals. Just make sure you regularly replace the carbon in the filter.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:55 pm   Re: Tank is always cloudy?

Read this,it might help you out with cloudy water.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33171
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Habitat - Indoor