Habitat - Indoor :: New RES Questions

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:37 pm   New RES Questions

Hi everyone - I have a few newbie questions. We adopted our first RES yesterday from a family nearby. He's 10 years old and a real cute little guy. They provided the tank, lamp, rocks, filter and food. The filter looked pretty old, so I replaced that first thing. I also picked up a tank heater and tank thermometer. Our turtle is still a little shy and spent most of the day under water. Should I be worried that he hasn't been basking or eating much? He attempted to climb up onto the rocks once, but then immediately retreated under water. Also, the water is extremely cloudy. I filled the tank with almost all new water this morning and am running both the new filter and old filter (both Tetra Whispers) to try and clear it up, but it's still pretty cloudy - maybe from the food he's not eating? Any suggestions? I have more questions, but will read up and see what I can find out. I'm happy to have our new buddy with us and want to make him as comfortable and happy as possible, so any tips on a new guy would be great! Thanks so much!
sarabeth328

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:15 pm   Re: New RES Questions

It's still early, but he should adjust quickly. It's possible the filters are cycling which is normal. How big is his tank?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor