Habitat - Indoor :: New red eared slider owner.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:32 pm   New red eared slider owner.

Hello all I have a general question based on filter suggestions. When I purchased my turtle( his name is cruah) I was told a tetra whisper 40i was fine for his size tank. After having him for nearly 10 days the tank water went from clear to cloudy to clear and back to cloudy for the past 4 days. Just wondering if this is normal or not with a newer tank. I've heard of new tank syndrome. And tank cycling. But it seems the tank wasent been getting any clearer in the past few days. Just wondering of the filter could be the problem or if I should let it ride out a day or two more. This has been over the past 10 days.

Were getting the water tested in the next day or two if it doesn't clear up. Just worried about our little turtle.
He's only about 4 inches in shell size. In a 40 gallon tank. Any help or advise would be amazing.
Seanchris16

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:05 pm   Re: New red eared slider owner.

The problem is you're using a fish filter with a turtle. We usually recommend using a filter that is rated 2x or 3x the tank size... so a filter for a 120 gallon tank used with a 40 gallon turtle habitat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:48 pm   Re: New red eared slider owner.

So upgrading the filter is a good idea at the moment? Or should I let the tank cycle before getting a second filter. We were debating getting a second filter(bigger) and keeping the old one till the new one gained some bacteria. Thoughts?
Seanchris16

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:03 pm   Re: New red eared slider owner.

It depends on the filter you pick up. I wouldn't stress about cycling, it doesn't really bother RES as much it would fish. Do dechlorinate (with activated carbon) though.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor