Habitat - Indoor :: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:55 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

I think the wood could still be releasing tannins. Does the water agitation help removing those bubbles?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:45 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Thank you again! I found out that before wood is introduced to a tank it must be boiled first. That is what caused the discoloration of the water.
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

It doesn't need to be boiled, but I guess that depends on the type of wood and how long the presoak is. Hot water should release more of the tannins.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:16 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

I honestly have no idea what type of wood it is. I boilded it for a couple hours on Friday. Soaked it over saturday. Boilded it yesterday morning and it is soaking again. Looks as though it is still releasing the tannins. The bubbles in the water got worse with agitation. I did a 50% water change and that seems to have helped with them a lot.
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:45 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Hmm, I guess there may have been something else in the water causing the bubbles.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:33 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

I honestly think the wood may have released something other than tannins. But I'm not sure. Everything seems to be in healthy parameters when i test the water so I'm not doing to worry about it
TurtleTimm

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 pm   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

When in doubt, clean everything out :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 am   Re: Aquatic and non aquatic plants- advice

Huh that's a good motto :)
TurtleTimm

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor