Habitat - Indoor :: Oasis Basking Dock?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:19 pm   Oasis Basking Dock?

Hello! Shelldon Kooper is just having a little trouble with basking. She basks just fine on the Zoo Med Large Dock, but she has a habit of biting it. She seemed to stop for a little while, so I figured I would get a new one. She immediately started biting this new one. If this continues she is going to wear out this rock again. Looking for a solution, I had considered the Oasis Turtle dock. There are just a couple of points I'm not sure of.
A. WIll it fit in the 40 gallon tank? The tank is about 17 In Wide, 48 In Long, and 17 In High (The Oasis dock is about 16 X 11 X 4) (I will be upgrading the tank once Shelldon outgrows her old one)
B. Will Shelldon be able to fit on it? She is about 6 In. Standard Carapace length at the moment. Will she also fit on it in the long term? Shelldon is a girl RES so she is capable of growing up to a foot. The Extra Large Zoo Med Turtle dock would likely be able to support this, but that will come with the biting problem again. But I'm not sure about the Large Oasis Dock.
C. When would you reccomend that I get a new basking dock? Obviously if the Oasis one can fit the tank and support Shelldon in the long term, then I will use the Oasis dock. As far as Zoo Med goes though, I got Shelldon a new one because her last inch of shell was submerged in the water when she would get on the rock in the vertical position. She can fully bask in the horizontal position though, but I figured the new rock would be more comfortable. If I must keep using Zoo Med, when would you reccomend I get replacements? When the old rock can't support her fully in the vertical position or at all?
Thank you

What is the water temperature? 78 Degrees F
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? About 20 Gallons
Current Tank: 40 Gallon Tank
Tank Width: 17 In. W

Total Tank Depth: Around 17 In.H

Water Depth: 8 In. (Add 2 In. to Carapace Length)

Length: About 48 In L

Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? 84 Degrees F
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Large Zoo Med Turtle Dock
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? Vegetables and Pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? This afternoon

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? No

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? No
Gerstein

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:35 pm   Re: Oasis Basking Dock?

I can't comment on the Oasis since I have no experience with it. I did start with the Zoo Med dock.

Shelldon may be getting too big for something that doesn't have more support. I ultimately went with a homemade above tank basking area. I've seen others use pvc pipe to build a support platform in tank.

Even if the Oasis works for now, it's a stop gap measure. Ultimately, you'll need something more substantial.
Tobi a RES born in 2012
1 dog, 1 teenager, 3 aquariums filled with fish, snails, shrimp and a bit of algae
ljapa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:11 am   Re: Oasis Basking Dock?

I think she will fit BUT I think it's too big for a 40 gallon. Don't forget how heavy she is and that she will occasionally dive off it. PVC/tile works great, especially with heavier RES. Corkbark is also great.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor