Habitat - Indoor :: Filter advice please

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:53 pm   Filter advice please

image.jpeg
This is an old picture before I added water, I just loved the way he was balancing.
I have a rescued turtle, I think he is a Cumberland Slider. We think he was washed away down river during the huge Nashville flood a few years ago and my dad (a veterinarian) found him when he was the size of a half dollar. He is now the size of a small dinner plate and in a 50 gallon tank. I have been using two ExoTerra FX 200 filters for over two years with great success, but the impeller in one seems to no longer be working properly and gets very hot. From some comments I have read this is common, so I do not want to replace with same filter. Not many stores here carry filters other than ExoTerra for turtle habitats. Any advice on the best replacement would be I would greatly appreciate it. I am a teacher and single mom so budget is tight, but want the best I can get for Mandala. Also, I have notice in several pictures that most of you have more water than I do. I create taller basking areas so I can have more water for him to swim, but he tears them down, suggestion? I would loved to increase his water level.
Ceilteachcroi

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:48 am   Re: Filter advice please

For the filter, an external canister filter is ideal. On a budget, one can be had from Amazon for less than $100, and it's well worth the investment.
This thread is a great starting point if you aren't familiar with how a canister filter works. I suggest reading it before buying a filter.

You should definitely raise your water level. You can build a basking platform with PVC pipe for legs/risers on the cheap, or if you are more DIY inclined, try building an Above Tank Basking Area (ATBA). You can search ATBA or basking platform here or on YouTube, but if you need links for tutorials or guidance on any of these, one of us will be happy to help!
OtisDriftwood

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:06 pm   Re: Filter advice please

Thank you so much! I have been looking at the above the tank pictures here and hope to do that soon. I am so glad I found you guys!
Ceilteachcroi

Return to Habitat - Indoor